a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Marina boat cover?

Started by greg988, April 13, 2019, 01:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg988

Taking the plunge this summer and renting a seasonal slip to save a lot of trailering and rigging time.  My boat has never been out in the elements, always in a garage.  Does anyone have experience with a cover that goes around the mast, but doesn't have to be secured below the boat like most do, while on a trailer?  This will obviously be in the water, so the cover has to secure only above the water line. 

Finbar Beagle

I have one for my picnic cat, but not for my 19.

I am not cerain there is a stack one for the 16.

I do not use the cover on the PC when she is in water, as it is cumbersome and heavy.  I use it for yard starage with/or without mast up.

I think biggest concerns with leaving boat uncovered in slip are;
Teak-will need extra maintenance
Fiberglass (gel coat) oxidation- waxing can help here, if not you can have a white powder film at end of season.
Birds, doing what birds do
Rain water- this may pool on seats, cockpit sole, so you may want a towel for the seats.  Water in the cabin can hard to diagnose.  I got lucky with my 19, she is pretty dry inside.
Do not forget to bottom paint.

Regards,
Brian
Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ

Gerry

I leave my 16 in the water all summer.  I have a sail cover on the boom and main sail.  In addition, I cover the boom with a tarp.  I hold the tarp down with 1/2 gallon jugs filled with water.  This works well whether on land or in the water.
Gerry "WyattC"
'81 CP16

greg988