a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

beaufort to charleston

Started by capnbgm, March 11, 2019, 12:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capnbgm

Hello and thanks for the responses and pics to my initial post about installing the autopilot on our CP 27.  Everything is working fine.  My wife and I want to sail our CP 27 one way from Beaufort NC to a new home in Charleston SC, weather permitting of course.  We have 10 days starting on April 12.  We would like to stay off shore as much as possible.  Has anyone on the forum done this trip or one similar in their boat?  Any advice or suggestions like "don't do it," or "its totally doable," or anything in between?  Thanks.
CpnBGM

wes

I'm planning to make this exact trip starting April 1, but will be staying entirely in the ICW except for the more open water at Wilmington/Southport (Cape Fear River) and of course Charleston harbor. My wife has zero interest in offshore sailing in a CP 27 and I can't say I blame her.

Honestly this part of the ICW has some of the most beautiful nature you will see.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

capnbgm

Is any of the ICW sailable in NC?  Or is it motor all the way?  Also, how long do you plan the trip to take you?  Thanks.
CpnBGM

wes

From Beaufort, it's about 270 ICW miles to Charleston. Around 9 days at a leisurely 30 miles a day on average. We're treating it more as a vacation than a sprint. You could certainly do it faster. I have an experienced friend who shoots for 40 miles per day.

I've never been south of Beaufort myself. Looks like there are sailing opportunities around the Bogue Sound area just south of Morehead City, in the Cape Fear around Southport, and in Charleston Harbor. But much of the motoring sections in between should be beautiful.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina