a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sail track repair

Started by Joe, February 21, 2019, 10:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Anyone used the Com-Pac track repair kit to freshen up the bottom end of the track? It's basically two plates driven into the mast to recreate a fresh track channel, from what I gather. I'm planning this due to the slugs slipping out when the sail is down, making it challenging to raise it single-handedly.

Jeff

Hi Joe, curious is you sorted out your situation as I am finding a similar scenario with our 2005 HC. Th stop of the slide on the gooseneck inside the mast sail track is coming out. It would come right out is it wasn't for being held by the bolt holding the ring at the bottom. Did you need to fabricate and use the two plate approach to repairing a worn channel?

bruce

I look forward to Joe's reply, and his experience in fixing the problem on his HC.

The dreaded spread mast track effects all CP catboat models, and typically occurs when the mast is lowered before the goosenecks and slugs have been dropped below the hinge onto the mast stub. The thread below has a photo of the type of damage, on a SC, and a description from Matt, the CP parts manager, of the repair plates. The plates reinforce the damaged area, after the track has been reformed with a mallet, if you feel the track has been compromised (weak, cracked). The plates don't replace the damaged sections, just reinforce them. The goosenecks and slugs still ride in the original track. If a piece of the track broke off, for example, the plates won't fix that.
http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=8993.0

I have repaired the track on a friend's PC. I neglected to take a photo before the repair, but the damage was similar to that shown in the thread above. The track was open about 3/4". I used a small 1 lb. urethane dead blow mallet to gently reform the track. There is some residual bulge in the track on the left side below the seam, but that wasn't a problem in use. The critical thing was for the track edges to line up at the seam. I didn't fashion a wooden dolly to back the area I was working, but if I had, I'm sure I could have gotten the bulge out. Any offending burrs could be filed down. I didn't experience a problem due to work hardening or cracking. The track did not appear to need reinforcement, and has held up well. I did take the hinge apart so I had a better angle when working on the mast section.

The first photo is the track after reshaping. (The gooseneck slide has been modified to deal with another chronic problem.) The second photo is of another PC with repair plates installed. Neat job, but it doesn't look like they were necessary.

Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Jeff

Thanks for additional info Bruce - very helpful.

Joe

Hey all, just saw the replies. We've been under two reefs so far this season and the part of the track higher up is straight, so I have been lazy to do the repair yet. The track has been like this since the boat came to me. My plan is to first try to reshape the track using wood blocks and a hammer, and other such tools. As I single hand this boat, not being able to get the sail up and down under a single reef or full sail without having to get out onto the bow is a real nuisance.

bruce

Good luck, Joe. The tolerances aren't super critical, except at the seam. The slides and slugs are loose in the track, but not to the point of falling out!

Send photos if you want more input.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Joe

Thanks Bruce. Hope you're enjoying your summer.  Dodging sharks out here.

bruce

We are, we try to get out once a week at least. We've had outboard problems the last couple of weeks. You're into electric drives, we have an ePropulsion Spirit 1.0, 1 kW outboard, with remote throttle, on order. 3 hp equivalent, plenty for a PC where we sail.  Meanwhile I've got a Torqeedo 1003 loaner.

ePropulsion has 6 kW Navy 6.0 OB that could push a HC, if you're still thinking.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Joe

Quote from: bruce on July 23, 2019, 03:42:47 PM
We are, we try to get out once a week at least. We've had outboard problems the last couple of weeks. You're into electric drives, we have an ePropulsion Spirit 1.0, 1 kW outboard, with remote throttle, on order. 3 hp equivalent, plenty for a PC where we sail.  Meanwhile I've got a Torqeedo 1003 loaner.

ePropulsion has 6 kW Navy 6.0 OB that could push a HC, if you're still thinking.

I studied e-power in great depth but simply could not get the solar/wind charging numbers to work to justify the incredible cost (and decreased range). I do love my Minn Kota on the tender and dream of the day when motoring the larger boat is as quiet, cool, less smelly, less toxic, and as easy to maintain.

Joe

Seem to have gotten the repair into a workable condition using a hammer and wood block. Compared to some of the photos my situation seems to have been on the minor side.

bruce

Excellent, Joe. Enjoy everything staying in the track!
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI