a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Cockpit Sun Protection

Started by AFM, February 21, 2019, 08:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFM

Has anyone seen or have a dodger or Bimini design for the 19 ?? I very much would like to reduce the amount of sun exposure and stay under sail... etc.
Thanks
Art,
hull #610 ,  Mystic, Ct

Jackrabbit

Oh, yes, there are plenty of CP19s fitted with biminis, and Hutchins will even sell you one tailor-made for the boat.  I've even seen a pic of a CP19 with a dodger on the internet, and I must say, they look very handsome outfitted like that.  I wanted to make one for "Restless", but am a little concerned that it might make relaxing at anchor a bit awkward as I like to lean against the cabin bulkhead (I'm a big palukah, and worry that the dodger will get in the way of my shoulders when I sit back).

Burton
S.V. "Restless"

Cruzin

Somewhere on the site are photos and directions to make a dodger for a 23. I know they are here because someone (Frank Durant I think) sent them to me to have someone post on the site. They are here unless they disappeared somehow. i may have the photos if we need to load them again. Maybe the master craftsman (Frank Durant) that took the photos and made his own dodger will step forward.

Dale
" Some people never find it, some... only pretend,  but Me; I just want to live happily ever after, now and then."  Jimmy Buffett

Reighnman

Hey Art,
The trick or issue is the main sheet while sailing for a bimini.  Here's a link to a 19 on sailingtexas where it's forward enough to have up while sailing but does cut access forward. You might have to put an extension on the tiller to get covered.  Or go to mid-boom sheeting and start the bimini aft of the companionway sheet mount, see the next link. I'm not sure the boom will be pleased in 20knts of wind. I went with an articulating umbrella which covers the head but not the legs. Guess a dodger would only cover your head as well.  You can google search Compac 19 bimini to get more visual ideas, and also search the forum as many have do it. There was also a 19 out there where the owner shortened the main so it had more headroom. I've read on forums where people buy the cheap ones off Amazon and cut the tubes to fit it. Might not look so pretty though. When I had a bimini made for the 25, I showed the local canvas guy a bunch of pictures and he built one which was EXPENSIVE.

http://www.sailingtexas.com/scompac19g.html

http://www.sailingtexas.com/scompac19118.html
Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat

AFM

Thanks for the feedback and links.  I will get going on this and I am sure follow up with more questions.
Art