a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Weems and Plath Electronic Flare

Started by PJ, February 11, 2019, 11:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJ

Any opinions from those that own or have used the Weems and Plath electronic flare and daytime signal flag?  Is it worth it not having to keep up with flares expiring.  My sailing is primarily coastal waters in Florida usually insight of land.
s/v Good Tidings

Bob23

I have one and like it for several reasons. I don't have to worry about expiration or having something flammable aboard my boat. I have never needed a real flare so I bought this just to be compliant. Hope this helps.

Finbar Beagle

I carry it to be compliant, and some soon to be, or maybe already, expired flares.  I doubt the signal flag will be effective in the daylight.
Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ

slode

I just got one this year to be compliant on Superior.   I thought it to be a good deal long term, and it covers all the requirements with one purchase.

Yes, it would take a decade or two to make up the cost with flares, but it's nice to not have to worry about anything but keeping an extra set of batteries on hand.  And those last a good decade now if kept sealed.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

PJ

Thanks for the inputs.  I found one second hand like new condition and purchased today for about half price of a new one.  I will also use it mainly to be compliant as I am usually well insight of land with my cat boats.
s/v Good Tidings

Potcake boy

Fortunately I've never had a need to use flares for an emergency, but like all of you I have spent a fair amount of money and time on replacement and disposal. I would balk at the idea of using that as a replacement for the purpose of COMPLIANCE. The essential purpose of the required safety gear is SAFETY - your safety.  None of it is worth carrying around until you need it, then it's priceless. Yes, been there done that with other essential equipment. I would like to feel confident that it's as good as or better than traditional flares for the purpose. Personally I like my 25mm flare gun, cause if I'm really in need then I hope to have the best available.

Here is a proposal: purchase a fancy new electronic flare for compliance and keep the old flares aboard as backup. They do seem to work OK years beyond their expiration date. I'm sure many fellows sailors would be happy to donate their outdated flares that wold be more current than yours for that purpose. Then you would have a perpetual supply of workable flares for free and always be compliant.

May I say that is an idea with flare!!!
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water