a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

advice for Pacific Northwest

Started by James, March 12, 2007, 09:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James

Would you recommend the ComPac 27 (or 25) for the conditions in the Pacific Northwest -- Puget Sound, San Juan Islands, Gulf Islands, not much open ocean. etc.)?
Thanks!

spaul

Hi James, I think this is a great question and I suspect you're ready to buy from the sounds of things. I believe this answer depends on some inputs from you. I'm prejudiced toward the 27 as I own one and am extremely happy with it. The 25 is undoubtedly more trailerable if that is what you intend to do. If you're set on a mooring or slip then in my mind there is no question. The 27 design in my opinion is more sea worthy ( if just a little) and certainly roomier.
Consider also how many people you're going to carry and how much time you'll spend in the cockpit. I'm not  familiar with the 25 but I'll say the 27 cockpit could be larger for more than two people at a time. The 27 is a heavy boat and will take some pretty rough water so I'm thinking you should visit both boats if they are available and try them on so to speak. We'd love to know how this comes out and your first hand exerience rising from your decision.

Steve Paul
cp27/2
Nashville, In

James

Thanks for the advice.  I have an additional "problem" of being 6'4" tall, so long berths, headroom, etc. are an issue.  I will check out the 27 in the Seattle area next time I am back.  Mostly I was interested to know if such a "heavy" boat was in popular use in the Pacific Northwest where light winds prevail and people seem to spend as much time under power as under sail.
Thanks again.

Roger Schwake

Ahoy  James, I'm 6' 2 1/2'' tall and have no problem with the V berth or the port side berth for sleeping. Working at the galley is a little tight for me but useable. The head is alright and have even used the shower a few times. The 27 is not the easyest boat to sail in light air but with a little practice she will move just fine. We have had our 27 for 5 years now and spend meany long weekends on her. Haven't started looking for our next boat unless I win the lottery so I could buy a CP 36. Good luck on your boat search.

spaul

James, another couple of things come to mind. I believe the 25's require an outboard which leaves more room inside. All the 27's I'm aware of have diesel power inboard and most if not all have a hot water heater. Mine is heated from the engine when it runs or from shore power if connected. Also the marine head and holding tank might be of interest for longer times spent on the water. Not trying to influence your decision but just point out the differences I'm aware of.

steve Paul

perseverance272

James, I'm also 6'4" and have a 27/2. I will say that the berths are a bit tight and you'll be ducking when you stand, but at 6'4" I haven't found a boat this size where it's not an issue. I've spent many nights on it and have found the right angles to get comfortable. It's a fun boat, easy to handle, and stable.

- Jason

James

Thanks Jason,
I have been waiting to hear from someone who is as tall as I am about this and other vessels.  I don't mind ducking around a little -- making dinner or whatever, but sleeping cramped is a drag.
Thanks again.

spaul

Hey James, if you leave the screen out of the main cabin hatch and pop the hatch you can stand there all day long, with a good view too !

On a more serious note, I believe you could sleep in the cockpit with good cushions and get a relatively good night's sleep. On smaller boats many sailors build cockpit tables that fit between the sides so as to make a wide berth out of the cockpit. True, the wheel will be in the way but knowing about that good night's sleep it might just be the ticket now and then when the weather permits. Just my thoughts after re-reading these posts. Hope you find what you need and what suits you best.
Good winds,
Steve Paul

Steve W.

We made a new filler for the V-berth so the V-berth go all the to the bulkhead (it make the V-berth about 5" longer.

compacjoe

James, I have sailed the San Juans and other areas in Washington several times. I have a CP-27/2 on San Francisco Bay. One thing to consider is the currents that you will have to contend with. I noticed that when we were in the San Juans we sailed about half the time and motored the other half. San Francisco Bay has strong currents also. The 18hp Westerbeke 20b that was standard on our boat does well. I don't know how the lighter 25 would do in the current.

The 27 also handles the gusty erratic winds of SF bay. We end up being reefed quite a bit in the summer when the winds are consistently 25-30 kts., but the boat sails very well and handles the short steep chop of the bay without any problems. They're great boats. Gerry and Rich Hutchins do a great job with the craftsmanship and quality.

Best wishes whatever you decide,
Joe