a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

All chain or Chain-Rode

Started by jimyoung, March 12, 2007, 08:28:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimyoung

I have always used a Chain/Rode combination when anchoring because I have always had to hoist the anchor by hand, however in the up-grade process that I am currently doing on my 27' Miss B. I am adding an electric windless to ease this task.  I am thinking of going all chain this time around on my primary "hook"and would like to ask the advice/recommendations of the forum before forking out the extra cash for all chain.  The windlass that I purchased will handle either but I am looking for the opinions those of you who have used both.

Thanks,
Jim

JohnS

All chain is great because it means the chain never leaves the windlass, it self-stows and there is no nagging worry about failure of the chain to rope connection. I wrote an article on anchoring a few years ago, covering this point, it's here:
http://www.saltyjohn.co.uk/resources/haphook.pdf
It may be of interest.
On my boats I have preferred hi-test (G4) chain because it means I can go a size smaller and benefit from greater flexibility and lighter weight. A tad more expensive though.

idouglas

Jim:

There is a very good article in GOOD OLD BOAT magazine on installing an anchor windlass.  See the Nov/Dec 2006 issue, pp 51-57.

idouglas

jimyoung

John,
Thanks for the feedback and the articles were enlightening.  I think what I will do is use 150' G4 chain and splice on another 100' of rode for those once in a hundred times that I might need the extra footage.  Also I hope it will make for a soft "bedding" for the bulk of the chain in the "V" shaped well, and is also where the fresh water intake hose resides on my 27.

idouglas,
Thanks too for the article reference. I haven't looked it up yet but will do so. I probably haven't yet because the windlass is already installed and I am afraid to see what I've done wrong!

Again thanks for the inputs and thoughts.

Jim

JohnS

dvhartley

I have 200 ft. of 5/16 chain. I used it all last year, but think I need to trim off a hundred feet. With the 50 gal. water tank, and the chain near the bow the weight is lowering my bow too much.

Also, what do you do if you have to cut the chain if/when you cannot raise your anchor? What tool do you use?

Anyone else having this problem?

jimyoung

dv,

It's a good point that you bring up about needing to cut the anchor free of the boat.  I have only had two instances where that was ever a consideration. Once when the anchor was wedged under an abandonned mooring block (I know that is what it was because I doned mask and fins and ended up freeing it manually) and one other time in a crowded anchorage when a trawler drug his anchor across my line and was pulling us both into a group of rafted boats. Rather than cut the line I just let it play out until it all left the boat, backed away from the trouble, set the spare anchor and again went diving.

In going all chain rode I will probably just continue to NOT attach the bitter end of the anchor line to the boat. Better to loose the anchor and chain than the boat, and all I have to do is to remember not to un-intentionally let it all play out.

Jim

JohnS

I attach the bitter end of the chain to the boat with a piece of 3/8 nylon line. It is long enough so that it comes up onto the deck when all the chain has run out and can be cut with a serrated blade knife.
This line also acts as a shock absorber in case the anchor falls off the bow unintentionally and the chain runs away. I've seen this happen and it's quite amazing how violently it tugs at the securing point when it comes up short.
I think this is better than leaving the bitter end unsecured, just in case you get an unintentional runaway. Losing the anchor unnecessarily would be a real bummer!