Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

DIY Boom Tendr

Started by Jim Hatch, November 12, 2018, 07:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hatch

Hello Folks,

I have a very nice 1991 CP 16.   Recent sails, garage kept.   Took me a year to find.
Now back surgery precludes my rigging the boat without a substantial mechanical
advantage in raising the mast.   After much reading everything I can find, it sounds
as if the Boom tendr is the answer.   Lifting weight overhead is a definite no-no!
My thought is that I could weld or clamp a mast/boom support running port to stbd
across the existing "pushpit" at an appropriate height.   Does anyone have any
thoughts on this project? Also, can anyone suggest the appropriate height for this
support?

I believe I've a pretty good grip on the rest of the procedures in setting up a multiple
part lift and rigging it for operation.   

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!   Warm regards, Jim

slode

http://www.sailboatrichlands.com/

These guys have a lot of cool mods they have done to Com-Pac boats including a mast raising system with boom gallows for a 16.  They sell a full kit. 

Click on "new projects" in the left column and scroll down a bit for a picture and description of the kit contents.  It may be cheaper than a DIY build. 

I've never seen a 16 with the boom and sail still on the collapsed setup like the Legacy but they may be able to answer if that's a possibility.  If you have or would use a boom vang an extended length of line on that makes for a great mast raising tackle.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

Jim Hatch

Hey SLODE,

Thanks for the comeback.  Sorry I was so slow in replying, but silly pewter packed
up.

I ordered the modded gooseneck fitting to allow the boom to fold up and am in
the process of adding a boom gallows.  I am also getting a boom vang as you
suggested for raising the mast.  Much appreciate the tips.  Regards, Jim

slode

Great to hear you are underway with this mod.  I'd love to see finished pics and hear how the install went.  Sounds like a great cheaper alternative to upgrading to a Legacy.  If it is as big of an improvement in setup time and ease as a CP19 compared to the Eclipse you'll love it!
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41