Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Advantages of the Small Boat Sailor

Started by 49captain, October 11, 2018, 04:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

49captain

Lessons learned from the hurricane.

Not having a big boat is an advantage.  We pulled the Horizon out and took it to a friend's house a couple of miles inland.   It weathered the hurricane just fine.  If we had still had the Island Packet we would have had it hauled at the boatyard.  The problem was that the boatyard flooded and the boats stored there played bumper cars for a few hours.  We had a friend who was texting us Tuesday describing the boatyard as a bathtub full of toy boats bobbing around smashing into each other.

We installed, with Gerry's generous help, a composting head on our Horizon Cat..  The city shut down the vacuum sewer system early Monday so we took the composting head out and used it at home.  I cannot say enough about these little items.  After several years of using them I have found NO downside.  I never would have thought of having this in my disaster kit but I will always have one available from now on.  On land or water, or in the air, they will not let you down when you have to sit down.  They will always be there to cover your rear.

The small boat sailor has decided advantages over the big boat sailor.  Much more versatile.  I'm happy we didn't have the big one.  As far as I can tell ALL of the boats in the marina and the local boatyard were damaged or sunk. 

We left town at 11 pm just after the 11 pm NHC update showed the storm just getting bigger and stronger.  The storm was on our heels.  We were going to stay but decided it just made sense to leave. 

In the news from friends we know that stayed Apalachicola came out better than expected.  Mexico Beach and Port St. Joe are much worse off.  We should be sailing again in a six weeks or so, maybe sooner.  Many others were not so lucky.  Let's hope this doesn't repeat anywhere.  However, I know it will at some time in the near future.  Be prepared.
Ron

PJ

Glad you made it through the storm safely.
Did Gerry have to modify the head closet height to fit the composting head, or will it fit in the standard area like my 2004 HC?
s/v Good Tidings

49captain

I don't know about the older models.  It fits perfectly in my 2017.  As soon as I can get back to the boat I'll be more than happy to measure things.  If you go to the C-Head web site you can dimensions for the unit.  We have the Shorty model with the removable churn handle.  I researched composters for a while before selecting the C-Head and it is perfect.  Capt. Sandy of C-Head was very, very nice and helpful and answered all my questions, usually the same day.  Gerry bent over backwards to help me while he was building our boat.   Email Capt. Sandy and he'll steer you right.
It may be some time before I can get back to the boat and my house but as soon as I can I'll help you out.
We had an AirHead on the IP and it was also great but their units were too large for the Horizon when I looked last year.
Good luck and as soon as I can help you I'll be pleased to do so.
Ron

49captain

Oh yes, there were no modifications required to the standard 2017 model.  I do have the diesel but I don't think that makes any difference as far as the cabin dimensions.  Gerry would have to answer that.
Ron

PJ

Thanks, I have the Nature's head from my PSC Flicka and hope to go with the same model you have "shorty" with handle.  Now that my HC is actually here on our farm I can take real measurementents
s/v Good Tidings

Bob23

PJ: You got my attention: A Flicka and a Sagecat??

PJ

Yes, but Flicka Annabelle I sold in February.  It was a downsize from my Island Packet  32 when I was a live aboard in Tampa Bay.   Still have the SageCat, she flies hull number 000, and have video of Jerry  Montgomery  sailing her, so she is special to me.
s/v Good Tidings

Bob23

The Flickas have always occupied a special place in my heart...hope to own one someday. There's a neglected on in a nearby marina that's just begging me to take her home!!
  I first read about the Sage 17 in Small Craft Advisor and saw one in Annapolis many sailboat shows ago. What in incredible little boat, don't know too much about the SageCat but whatever Jerry Montgomery designs always catches my attention. If I ever downsize, a Sage 17 would be near the top of the list!
Bob23

Potcake boy

Don't forget that these trailer boats make a good home away from home when you need to evacuate.
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

brackish

Ron, you make some great points regarding the advantages of a smaller boat.  Glad you came out OK regarding Michael.  In Mexico Beach we will be a long time getting back.  Currently stuck in the quagmire of bureaucratic red tape.  In the land of CDE, CCCL, FEMA, with four different governments involved, City, Bay County, State of FL, and the FED.  Nothing is moving rapidly but we will eventually get there.  Both the flood and wind adjusters have been very helpful, not so the government entities.  The city put a 90 day moratorium on all new or repair construction and require that all contractors must be FL licensed.  Both my BIL and I have been associated with the construction industry in MS, have many close friends who are licensed in MS, and experienced with FEMA codes, having worked Katrina reconstruction.  Many of them have used our house over the years and want to help gratis but they can't because of that requirement which will delay things and drive prices up.  A bit of a nightmare.

Back to the subject of small vs large, I did an overnight single handed two weeks ago, home lake in MS.  My wife was in GA. for a funeral and no one else cared to go.  I find that pushing 72, I can still handle sheets, halyards, lifts, anchors, dock lines and all the other sailing apparatus.  Where I am having trouble is the non standing headroom cabin.  My back no longer likes that bent position to move around in there.  So while I like the small nature of my 23, a change to larger may have to happen to extend my sailing career, at least where overnight cruising is concerned.  We shall see.  Been considering just keeping the 23 for mostly day sailing and getting a trailerable trawler for those overnight and extended cruises.

Tim Gardner

Brack, Have you seen this from Kieth at sailboatrichlands.com?

"The picture below is our hard dodger on a 23 in its summer position. Everyone needs all the air they can get when it's hot. The winter version will have front windows and side curtains with windows. It will extend our sailing season. "

The winter version would be cheaper than a larger boat than a 23 and give you stand-up room, protected in the hatchway.
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

wes

Brackish - I see a 27 in your future! You will love it; very familiar to any Com-Pac owner (t was an easy adjustment from my 19) but with the all-important standing headroom.

And, as my wife says, "a bathroom with a door on it."

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

brackish

Tim, I haven't seen that, haven't been to Keith's site in a while.  It looks like a good option, but won't solve all the problems.  I even have trouble turning around to get out of the forward berth, just a little too cramped.  And as Wes says, "a bathroom with a door" is a very important feature in the Admirals world.

Truthfully, while I have no real interest in doing the loop, although my marina is on it, interested in cruising portions of it.  I think I would get bored with some of the segments.  However, it would be nice to take a run up to KY Lake, or the Shoals area or Guntersville.  Maybe down to Mobile and do portions of the gulf.  Cruises of a week to ten days at a time. But do it at a pace at least twice the 5-6 knots  capable with my 23 or even a 27.  Thinking about something 24-25', fuel efficient semi-displacement hull, able to cruise at 12-15 knots very efficiently and comfortably with minimal roll at anchor.  Some of the Eastern/Seaway designs, Rosborough 246, Ranger Tug 25SC, and C-dory Venture models are on the list.  Still considering building one, maybe a Bateau DE25, or a Devlin Surf Scoter 24, or a B & B OB24.  Take at least a year for that don't know if I want to wait that long.  We'll see.

49captain

Brackish, did you lose your home in Mexico Beach?   We drove through there on the way to PC a couple of weeks ago, just after they opened 98.  All I can say is that Apalachicola and we were very, very lucky.  A shift just ten miles east and we would have had it as well.   It looked to me like you lost the dunes on the beach as well as some of the beach itself.
Good luck in getting back on your feet.  I wonder what FEMA and the state will require for rebuilding.   I hope people can afford to rebuild. 
We gave up our IP 29 because we felt that we couldn't handle it if things got dicey and we felt our long-distance cruising days were numbered.  Also, after dealing with several big storms and a near-miss by a hurricane last year we just didn't want to deal with that any more.   The couple that bought our boat were in the PC marina and wewonder what happened to the old girl. 
We looked at the ComPac 23 but had the same concerns as you about being bent over in the cabin.  We  cook and eat in the cockpit of the DayCat and, when the weather is good, also sleep in the cockpit.  If we have to  stay in the cabin it's like being in a tent, small but cozy.  We haven't been out for more than four nights and it's been fine so far.  Of course we are usually beached or anchored close in at night so the boat is mostly used for sleeping and transportation.
It came down to a choice between a large boat with standing headroom in the cabin - which we felt might over-match us in some conditions - or a small daysailer with a large cockpit.
Good luck in MB.  If you are ever coming to Apalach post it here and we'll hoist a couple.
Ron