a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

launching set up time

Started by carob, March 05, 2007, 05:29:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carob

About how much time does it take to set up a CP23 for launching?  Would a 3/4 ton truck/van with a V8 be best for towing a CP23.  Do some marinas allow to keep boat in water for several days while you are vacationing or do most require you to take boat out of water everyday and if so do they offer parking for trailors so you don't have to take the mast up/down everyday?

rmonsma

That large of a truck isn't necessary.  My 2006 Toyota Tacoma (the smaller Toyota truck) with a 237 HP V-6 pulls my ComPac 23-3 just fine.  The truck is rated to tow 6,000 pounds. 

I originally purchased my boat, last fall, thinking I'd launch each time I sailed but I've since decided that the price of a slip is worth it.  Rigging the boat isn't that hard but my motto is sail more - work less.  I guess it depends too on how often you use the boat.

Marinas in my area (Lake Michigan) typically have slips available by the day for transient boaters.  You could launch and then keep the boat in such a slip for a few days.  Prices will vary for that.

Roger

LConrad

I can pull a CP 23 with my Honda Pilot, but would suggest a little stronger vehicle if you pull very much.

carob

What has been most on my mind is do you rig every time you sail (which can become an issue that will keep you sailing less)or do you go the way of the slip(where the cost can keep you from sailing at all).  The fact that some marinas have slips for transient sailors is a plus.  I wonder what something like that might cost on an average?  Maybe I need to think a little smaller.  However I really do like the looks and capibilities of the 23.  How long does it take on an average to rig or take down a 23... I'm thinking no more then about 45 to 60 minutes.. am I far off on the estimate?

Windhawk

I keep mine in one of the more expensive marina's on Lake Michigan (outside of Chicago, that is), and it's $2,500/year.  Much better deals can be found 1-1.5K

rmonsma

I found slips in South Haven Michigan for $1,100 - $2,200.  All were nice with water, electric, restrooms, showers etc.  The main difference was the distance to Lake Michigan.  I ended up paying $1,400 for a nice slip.  It figures out about $200 per month for the season.  Even if I could launch and rig in an hour by the time I trailered, launched, hauled and trailered back to storage there's at least 2-3 hours invested in that.  Multiply that by a couple times a week and it really adds up.  I'd rather cancel cable TV and cell phone and get a slip.  But that's me.  A smaller boat would simplify of course but I love my 23-3!  Perfect size in my opinion. 

You are right though,  if cost keeps you off the water you might as well golf and forget boats.

Roger

carob

naaaa... I don't do golf.  I will find a way!  Currently I live in Missouri... I don't do lakes(like what we have around here), never have been interested in them...but that's me.   I'm going to go down to the Gulf area and check out what seasonal/short term(several months) slip rental would cost and even if they have something like that available.  I'm going to do my homework.  Yeaaa like you I really like the 23, in fact quite sold on them.  Thanks for your input.