a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Blood, Ankles and Portholes

Started by Jasmid53, September 16, 2018, 03:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasmid53

Labor day weekend I had the pleasure of sailing with Philip B. on his junk rigged 19. Thanks Phil. One thing I noticed, besides how easy to handle the junk rig is, is that his port lights were nearly flush to the cabin sides. My ports stick out about an inch and more than once I have pealed the skin off my ankles and heals. Not wanting to attract any great whites and to make sailing pleasurable I need to fix this. So I am wondering if any body else has ports like mine and if so, what did you do? I thought that if I could find some flexible plastic channel akin to what comes on a hand saw as a tooth guard, I could just glue that on and be done with it. I just don't know where I purchase something like that.

moonlight

Why not do it right the first time?  sure, you could use some sloppy fuel hose split or vinyl tubing split down the middle, or go to the auto parts store and get some door edge trimming ...

OR, pop them (in, not out), make a nice pattern for two half-rounds of 1" or 1-1/2" teak to fit the flange, and rebed and reset them with that teak ring on the inside.  Basically move the outer edge back to just about flush, maybe leave 1/8 or 1/4" out and a nice bead of caulk around that...

If your boat is over 10 years old, it probably doesn't hurt to rebed them anyway.  Over 20 years, and it's a no brainer.

Jasmid53

Never thought of the auto store. They may have just what I am looking for. Any more work than that will have to wait till I haul the boat.

Jackrabbit

I think that edge is there to help keep water out of the port (although because of the angle of the cabin side it seems to hold water more than anything).  In any event, IMO the beautiful bronze portholes are one of the fetching features of the Compac 19, and I would be loathe to modify them in any significant way.  Perhaps just filing and sanding the edge to make it less sharp would suffice?

Yamaha33410

I have teak trim rings from a 23 available, maybe that would be a good option to "cover" them up if they are the same size...

PM me if youre interested

-Todd
1981 Compac 16

-West Palm Beach, FL

Jasmid53

Thanks Todd. Though I haven't fixed this yet, I plan on trying the auto door trim first.

Damsel19

What do they look like from the inside? I have never seen any stand more than 1/8 inch proud.

Jasmid53

I haven't done anything to fix this yet. I have so much work to do. Some is my fault: bought a Mirror dinghy that needs restoring, some isn't my fault: leaking sewer pipe. I just went out and snapped a few photos and took a moment to dream of warmer weather and steady winds.

Jasmid53

Finally got around to installing plastic door trim on portholes. Used a heat gun to warm up the trim because of the small radius. It went on easily after that. Looks good too. Thanks for the tips everyone. And I do see that washer that needs to be replaced.

philb Junkie19

Looks good. Nice job.

I'm guessing you heard about Jono's rescue by freighter on their way back from Cuba.  I heard yesterday that his boat was recovered in good shape off the Fl. coast. He plans to be bringing it to the labor day weekend junket.
Phil

Jasmid53

Phil, I'm rather bad at names, was he at the junket last year?

philb Junkie19

Yes, he and his woman friend had that very pretty blue boatthat they trailered up from North Carolina. I believe it was a twenty foot boat that was originally designed as a motor boat but built as a sailboat.

Jasmid53

Thanks Phil. As I thought about it I was able to figure it out. His boat had an interesting hinged mast. Glad he is all right.