a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Leaking ports

Started by Rathmann, September 13, 2018, 08:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rathmann

I have both, a Sun Cat and Horizon Cat; all six ports leak!!! Anyone have experience removing factory installation and rebedding?

Jim in TC

On our Sun Cat the ports leaked unless quite tightly secured; on ours there are 3 tightening screws and all must be snug to prevent a driving rain from coming through. So far no need to remove and reseat...
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

alsantini

I think I have the same ports on my Eclipse and they leaked when I bought the boat. A 2007 model.  I called the factory and they assured me that it was the window gaskets not the bedding of the port frame.  So I bought new gaskets, installed them and now only have one that leaks.  LOL  I will get to it soon.

Jeff

I bought a 2005 HC about 5 years ago. Several ports leaked and it was hard to diagnose as it wasn't obvious where the leaks were. Just a drip making it's merry way eventually to the cushions. I decided to set about re-seating them and quickly found it a challenge. They seemed securely sealed with sealant and trying to repair or re-do was damaging the gelcoat around the ports under the chrome frame. Another sailer with a classic wood boat with about 12 bronze ports said 'silicone' them - easy. So I did. With the chrome frame on I carefully filled in the tiny gap between it and the hull wiping the excess away. I live in the pacific Northwest with lots of rain. No more leaks.
My one complaint about those elliptical ports is they don't drain. They sit with an inch of water until it evaporates. My rubber is fine, but you can't open the port without getting 1/2 cup of water splashing in.