a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Navigation Lights confusion

Started by paydirt, August 27, 2018, 08:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paydirt

I am thinking about launching after work and staying overnight in my CP16. I have the bow and stern lights working. BUT I am confused on the other lights. I looked up some illustrations and noticed the following
1) Sailing at night under power I need to run the white steaming light mid mast
2) anchoring at night I need to run a white 360 light on top of the mast
3) sailing at night I need to run a tri color light at the top of the mast
somehow I do not see how this is reasonable on my boat. I guess I have missed something somewhere. hopefully I can find an answer in the COLREGS.
do I need two separate lights at the top of the mast? aint much room to mount anything up there with the wind vane. what lights do you all have at the top of your mast?
thanks
1987 Compac 16 MKII
"For Snooty"

crazycarl

When operating a sailboat under power, such as an engine, the steaming light is on along withthe running lights at the bow and stern. When under sail at night, the bow and the stern lights are on.  When anchored at night, the mast mounted all around light is on.  When anchored during daylight, a black ball is raised up the mast.  Now if memory serves me, our little boats are only required to have stern mounted anchor lights illuminating 160*.  Someone will correct me if im wrong.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

wes

Paydirt - you do not need #3 on your list. When the boat is underway at night you have a choice of EITHER rail mounted running lights (like the ones you already have) OR a masthead tricolor light.

For #2 the anchor light doesn't necessarily have to be permanently mounted on top of the mast, but it must be visible for at least 2 nautical miles around a 360 degree angle. Some people use a portable battery powered anchor light and hang it from a stay or hoist it up a halyard. The higher up the farther it can be seen. If you are in a well protected anchorage you obviously won't be as paranoid as in open water where the risk of being hit by a speeding powerboat full of hard drinking teenagers is higher.

Wes

"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

NateD

Wes is correct (at least based on my understanding of the rules).

Technically COLREG only applies to "high seas and in all waters connected therewith navigable by seagoing vessels" if you're on a lake, my understanding is the local regulations govern the lights (although any local regs are probably based on COLREG).

I think all a CP16 actually needs is a white light that shines 360 degrees. Under COLREG 23(c)ii (page 35: http://www.jag.navy.mil/distrib/instructions/COLREG-1972.pdf)

"(ii). a power-driven vessel of less than 7 metres in length whose maximum speed does not exceed 7 knots may in lieu
of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule exhibit an all-round white light and shall, if practicable, also exhibit
sidelights;"

Rule 25(d)i says: "(i). A sailing vessel of less than 7 metres in length shall, if practicable, exhibit the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) or
(b) of this Rule, but if she does not, she shall have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white
light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision."

Rule 30(e): "(e). A vessel of less than 7 metres in length, when at anchor, not in or near a narrow channel, fairway or anchorage, or
where other vessels normally navigate, shall not be required to exhibit the lights or shape prescribed in paragraphs (a)
and (b) of this Rule."

So for powering at night, the most you're required to have is a 360 degree white light, sailing at night requires that you have a flashlight, and anchoring outside of a channel requires no light for a boat that size.

But the generally adhered to protocol would be a green and red light (either at deck level or a tri-color) with 360 degree white light while motoring (typically a white light that shines backwards, and one that shines forwards to make full 360). When sailing you would have red, green and backward shining white light. At anchor would be any white light that could shine 360. For anchoring in busy areas I like a mast-head light and a light down closer to deck (like those solar powered landscaping lights). Drunk power boaters usually aren't looking up in the sky to see if there are any other boats around. Even sober ones might miss an anchor light at the top of the mast.

Look, in the end it is about being seen, any light is better than no light in most circumstances. Right now my forward facing white light isn't working, but I'll still motor with the red, green and rear facing white light on (even though that technically tells other people that I'm sailing). You're not going to get arrested for showing the wrong lights, but no lights increase the risk of being run over.

PJ

Pickup a NaviSafe Skiff and Dinghy kit, and call it a day.

https://www.savinglots.com/lotprod.asp?item=768&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o1&scid=scplp768&sc_intid=768&gclid=CjwKCAjw5ZPcBRBkEiwA-avvk9853sP0BpLB_T2Nf5VUdDBi2KqoDmZRVTga9vIuQLGJViyYLn4LVBoCD0oQAvD_BwE

The specific kit I have is: Navisafe 768 which gives two screw on or 3m tape on  brackets.

I am not affiliated in any way with this product or this link above, I just happen to use this on my SageCat 15
s/v Good Tidings

paydirt

Thank you all...that makes sense. most of it is just common sense. yeah I hate launching on weekends because of all the people drinking, it really makes me nervous with the kids on board. I appreciate the help. Ive got it all wired up except the steaming light which I have to replace
1987 Compac 16 MKII
"For Snooty"