a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Cockpit Cup Holders

Started by slode, July 24, 2018, 11:53:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slode

Has anyone found a good solutions for cup holders in the cockpit of the Eclipse?  I've been trying to find something that will mount or clip to the boom gallows, but any that swivel on both axis and look like they wont break within a year are around $30 a pop.  That seems like crazy $ to spend on a cup holder!
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

TedStrat

Slide. I have ones that hang on the lifelines of my Eclipse. I have a pic but can't seem to figure how to post anymore. It's a wire cage with a foam insert. Best for cans but somewhat versatile. They remain steady on a heel. They're called "Boatmates"
-Ted

s/v 'Helios' - Eclipse.....Huntington, Long Island NY

K3v1n

A cheap idea I learned from my brother. He used PVC pipe cut to your desired length and then drilled holes to weave zip ties through for the bottom and attaching to where ever you like/can.

1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

JERSEY SHORE TRAILER SAILERS

Tim Gardner

Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

slode

Thanks for all the ideas.  I like the PVC solution and I have a couple stainless tube clamps and bar stock I might incorporate to make a swivel mount.

rbh1515

2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

slode

I came up with a piece of stainless bar stock, length of stainless tubing, and a couple tube clamps from the scrap bin.  A bit overkill, but price was free, and I only put about 40 min. into fabricating two.  Once polished up a bit they'll even look the part.

brackish

LOL, may be overkill but it is certainly lifetime.  I like them a lot, but my scrap bin is not that elaborate.  What did you put on the bottom of the tube?

slode

I just tacked a piece of 1/4" stainless rod across the bottom of the open tube.  The one pictured actually had an end cap already welded in.  I drilled a hole in the center for a drain.

Neil D

On my prior boat, I had a plank of wood (mahogany, I think) that I inherited from the prior owner. The shape was trapezoidal and the height was about 4" , and about 3/8" thick. It was cut to exactly fit in the slot of the companionway hatch.  There was another piece of wood connected at 90 degrees to make an L shape for the bottoms of the bottles or cans to rest.  Attached to the face board were three separate sections of PVC pipe, which were secured to the wood by screws with washers and nuts on the backside. This allowed three bottles of water, beer, soda, whatever to be placed at arms reach.  Sorry I don't know if I still have pictures but it was functional.

The only downside is that it is good practice to have your companionway boards in and the hatch closed in sporting or "iffy" sailing conditions, so there were times when I could not use the drinkholder arrangement for that reason.