a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Wanted: Horizon Cat.

Started by PJ, July 02, 2018, 05:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJ

Looking for our next sailboat, a Com-Pac Horizon  Cat.  Prefer diesel, but not opposed to an Outboard.  Not in a rush, so those wanting to sail out the  season then sell, let me know .   Currently   sailing a Sage Marine   SageCat 15.  Not sure  if I will sell it, or just add a second boat.
s/v Good Tidings

PJ

Aftet looking at Herreshoff  America, Marshall, and Menger... I am focused  on a Horizon Cat.  The HA 18 was awesome except the cb trunk. 

Anyone have opinions of horizon cat powered by the torquedo   (8hp equivalent)?
s/v Good Tidings

Jim in TC

Search the forum on "torqueedo" for some conversations. There is at least one on the forum using it on a Horizon, and I think it is the smaller (1003) model. I have that on my Sun Cat. This is my first season with boat and motor, but have found it to be excellent, and equal to the task of powering upwind to drop sails in some pretty severe conditions (strong wind, serious waves). Range is, of course, an issue...
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

rbh1515

Was just on Sailboatlisings.com, and saw at least four HC's for sale.
I use a Torqeedo 1003 on my HDC. It's great for daysailing.  The 8hp one would be great but very expensive.
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

PJ

Thanks  been  watching  that website.  All the  HC listings are from June 2017 or older  and all have been sold.
s/v Good Tidings

rbh1515

2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

CaptRon28

We're selling our house in NJ and permanently moving to our house in Punta Gorda, FL. Was planning on moving the HC but we already have a 30 foot trimaran down there so I'm not sure how much I'd actually use the Horizon. The tri is bigger, more comfortable and a heck of a lot faster. I've gone almost 20 knots in about 23 knots of wind, and it will do about 5 knots in 4 knots of wind.

It's a 2007 Horizon, dark red hull, Yanmar diesel, with just about every option available, including dual batteries, battery charger and monitor, full canvas including a full cover, etc. It's in just about perfect condition. Engine hours are low (under 100 as I recall). The trailer has been modified with larger wheels and tires, 4 wheel disc brakes and LED lights.

Because of some health issues and our move this year, I really haven't used the boat in about 1 1/2 years. Also, a good portion of it's use for several years was on a local reservoir where I had to attach a trolling motor to the stern (no diesels allowed).

Really haven't made up my mind yet but, considering how much I expect to use it in Florida, I should probably sell it now and avoid the 1250 mile tow. It will probably wind up sitting on my 2nd lift behind the house for years. 

Boat is sitting on it's trailer next to my house in Freehold NJ. I expect to move it down there in mid-September. Any one interested should probably contact me soon. I can post pictures somewhere if needed.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

CaptRon28

Figured out a way to post some photo's here.
Ron Marcuse

PJ

May have a Horizon Cat to look at in Wisconsin  of all places.  Hopefully  get to look at it later this month...
s/v Good Tidings

Andre

I've been out on Ron's boat twice and it's in nice shape.

Ron, good luck with your move and with the sale of the Horizon Cat if that's what you wind up doing.

Andre

CaptRon28

Andre -

Don't really want to sell it, but I probably won't be using it that much when it gets to Florida. The trimaran is bigger, more comfortable, sails much better, has a real head and galley, 6 feet of head room down below, etc. I like the cat though. Good boat. I was really drying to avoid the extra trailer trip, but that may have to happen regardless.
Ron Marcuse

PJ

Would love to come look at the boat Ron can fly to Punta Gorda if you have it there, or  drive to NJ if you would rather sell than tow to Florida.
s/v Good Tidings

Bob23

PJ. I've never met Ron but I live about 45 minutes from Freehold and am up that way about once a week. Let me know if you'd like me to take a look-see for you.

PJ

Thanks  for the generous offer Bob, waiting to hear back from Ron for when I can see the HC.  Ball is  in his court as I am retired  so pretty available  to go see  it.
s/v Good Tidings

Andre

PJ,

Either way you won't be making a mistake in checking out Ron's boat.  If I hadn't bought another HC last year, I'd be getting in line, ha, ha!

Andre