a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Rigging

Started by Jasmid53, June 03, 2018, 04:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasmid53

Had my first sail in my 19 and I have a few questions. I started out with my jib sheets on the inside of the shrouds and through the fairleads. Quickly found this to be wrong, I moved them to the outside of the shrouds and through the pulleys on the side travelers and around the winch for control. I think this is how the sheets should run.

I have been watching on YouTube videos bymb7226 sailing his 19 out on Buzzards Bay. He seems to have two pulleys on each of the side travelers. He also has jamb cleats near the winch. he looks like he really knows how to sail. So for those that may have seen his videos, or know him what do you think of his rigging. How is your boat rigged?

Also I don't like the way the main sheet jambs when on port tack. I think I got that right. The sheet comes off the pulley and I have to straighted the pulley out by pulling it up. I'll post a photo to show you. The sheet gets twisted too. Any better options?

Finbar Beagle

Jasmid,

For my mainsheet, previous owner replaced the Schaefer with a Harken double block.  It still is not perfect, and block is not at correct angle, but it does not jam.  It is double block, but only 1 is used, so same rig set up as yours.  It has chafed the mainsheet, so I am monitoring it closely.  The mainsheet rubs the bock housing, instead of just running on the wheel.

Previous owner also installed, and removed, cam cleats by winch.   The holes ar sealed, but still visible.  I am having roller furling jib installed soon, so I am waiting to see if I will replace these. 

Regards,
Brian
Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ

patclem

Following. My main has a double block on the boom.  First block to the port side on the stern has a becket to start the rope, and a cleat, all of it swivels.  Goes through the double, back down to a single block on the starboard stern, back through the double, to the single with the becket, and through the cleat.  I found it odd that the main cleated off to the port instead of somewhere in the middle, but I'm also not very experienced.  For that matter, I haven't had my CP19 in the water yet!  LOL

I'm going to follow since I'm interested in the way the jib/genoa connects relative to the shrouds.

Minicruiser19

Hi Jasmid, to answer your first question first, I am the new owner of the fine vessel that you saw mb7226 sailing on Buzzards Bay so I've attached a photo showing the arrangement that the previous owner was using. It is set up to work with a 135% headsail on a CDI roller furler. From what I've read elsewhere on this site, the late CP19s (i.e., the "XL" version) came with nearly option standard, so I'm not sure what he added or modified. Mine is going in next week and after a few shakedown cruises I will report back. JD
1999 Com-Pac 19XL, Hull No. 610

Jasmid53

Thanks for posting the photo. I was wondering what kind of block he had at the rear. I have been out a few times so far. Mostly to learn about the boat and see what I need to repair. Check any screws on the furling system. Mine were all loose and I didn't have any Allen wrenches when I found them. They're all tight now with a drop of lock tite. Nothing else was wrong, but I did forget to run the reefing line. Set that up yesterday.

Now I'm off to find some blocks and jamb cleats. And tomorrow I'm going sailing out of Swansea MA on a ComPac 27.

Jasmid53

I have updated my jib rigging the way Minicruiser19's boat is set up. The jib line goes from the clew of the jib around the outsided of the side-stays. It then goes through a forward block on jib slide, through a block that is kept fixed to the far rear of the slide. From the rear block the line goes clockwise around the near winch then over to the other side and several clockwise turns around what will be when sailing, the windward winch. I like this setup because it keeps you up on the windward side and to tighten the sail you can grab the line between the two winches and pull then tighten the line using the winch. Do this a couple of times in a sort of pumping motion and you can easily tighten your foresail without having to use the winch handle.

The other day while sailing close hauled I was wondering how she would sail if I were to relocate the jib sheet inside the side-stays and run them through the fairleads. But with my new setup I was not going to un-thread all the line and then re-thread it through the blocks. So today, after having done a little more research, I made two soft-shackles. The jib sheet is now attached to the jib with a soft-shackle. I have another jib sheet that goes through the fairleads and around the mast and just lies on the deck till needed for some close haul sailing. This line also has a soft-shackle at its midpoint. The idea is to be able to quickly change the sheet depending on your point of sail. I still need to find simple and neat way to organize these lines.

To use the soft-shackle you pass the loop -bottom right in photo- which is in the sheet itself, through the grommet of the clew. Then pass the doubled line -top line in photo- through the loop of the sheet. Pull back on the sheet and this doubled line acts as pin, preventing the sheet from pulling back through.

I'll report back on how this setup works in real life, after I take her sailing a couple of times.

Finbar Beagle

Jasmid,

Running the jib sheet inside of the stays, for me, only made sense with real small jib.  For my working 110 jib, the ability to point a little higher, was not worth the effort on needing to reset jib sheet when on reach.  I have a couple of small jibs from former boats that I send up in heavy air, mainly to help in tacking, (backing wind )

Keep on with the experiments, sometimes I will use a snap block to shackle to Pinch the jib in, and then I just open when not needed.  I tie it down to handholds on cabin top, or fairlead on other side.  Depends on how strong wind is.

There is always a better way...

Regards,
Brian
Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ

Jasmid53

I would only roll out enough of the genoa to reach the mast if I use the inside sheets. More than that and I think the sail would just be in the way. Good idea using the hand rails to store the lines. I' m going out tomorrow so I'll give that a try.