a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

measurement for boom gallows

Started by Jim in TC, May 26, 2018, 02:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim in TC

We just picked up our 'new to us' 2006 Sun Cat. The owner cut off the boom gallows at the stern and put hardware on the cabin to hold it. This was not one of the better modifications and we plan to return it to the standard placement.

Before ordering new stand pieces and hardware for it, thought I would see if we can simply repair (maybe weld) the original. But we don't have the measurement from the rear deck to the bottom of the wood frame, to see if it has been shortened or simply cut off. Anyone have a tape measure handy and the boat in the yard to provide that measure?

Thanks!
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

ddg23

I measured from the rear deck to the wood on the bottom of the gallows and it was 26.25 inches.  Hope this helps.
Dan

Jim in TC

<<<I measured from the rear deck to the wood on the bottom of the gallows and it was 26.25 inches.  Hope this helps.>>

That is exactly what I was after. Meanwhile, I set up a temporary fix that ended up at around 29" (seemed about right, and was pretty close). If you could choose, would you have those extra inches or is it pretty much just right from the factory (and would there be some downside to a few inches higher that I can't see)?

Thanks for the info!
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

DanM

I also measured my 2011 SunCat and can confirm 26 1/4" from rear deck to underside of wood. Personally, I would advise you to NOT make it any taller because when you hoist sail and peak up, the boom clears the gallows by only a couple of inches. I think that at 29" you may find the boom drags on the gallows when you tack. IMHO, stick with the factory dimension.

Jim in TC

I did raise sail (in the driveway - very light air) and it cleared...but was close. To avoid issues where it counts, on the water, I lowered it to 27" - so close to factory spec. Thanks for all the info and comments!
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel