a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Lifelines and stanchions?

Started by Cuttyhunk, May 17, 2018, 07:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuttyhunk

I'm planning to order a new Eclipse, and just got the options list. I'm concerned lifelines will be more of a nuisance than a help on a boat this size. What are your opinions?

Thanks

Beth

Bob23

Hi Beth and welcome!
  While I do not own an Eclipse, I have been aboard one and I agree with you, lifelines might be more in the way. The side decks are narrow which might make going forward awkward and constrained. My vote would be to keep it simple- no lifelines. But other Eclipse folks are out there with more firsthand experience than I.
  Where do you sail?
Bob23 and "Koinonia", 1985 23/2 in New Jersey

Reighnman

Welcome aboard!! I too don't have an eclipse but on my 19 they saved me from going overboard. Is the bow rail standard equipment or an option? If that's standard, then it looks like it's just one stanchion post, as the rear arch must be standard as that's part of the system. You can easily have someone add the lines later if you want them. I changed to dyneema braid and love it. Also added foam padding  which is really nice to lean against it.
Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat

Finbar Beagle

I too, cannot provide the Eclispe viewpoint / experience, but the stantions base do come in handy for fender and boom tent canopies, and to keep poles/boat hooks from rolling off foredeck when you are busy tying something with one hand holding you on boat. 
Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ

slode

While I only have one afternoon on the water I can say with some certainty that I personally will opt to leave mine as is, with no lifelines.  Where the center stanchion would normally go is a great place for a mid-ship cleat for tying off fenders and such.   But if safety is a big factor go for it. I would not be concerned with Reghnman's comment on forward access.  The side decks are pretty much non-existent, even without lifeline all forward access is over the cabin top.  It's a very easy addition if you ever feel the need down the road.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

alsantini

I agree with Slode.  On my 2007 Eclipse I do not have lifelines and have never felt the need for them.  They can be added at any time.  If you are ordering a new Eclipse and have questions feel free to PM me and I will get you my phone number.  Always love talking sailing and Eclipse sailing is the best talk.  BTW I have all other options except the asymmetrical spin.  Any idea when you will order?  Best of luck to you - you will love the Eclipse.  Al

captronr

My Eclipse came with lifelines.

Forward of the cockpit, I've not noticed that they got in the way, nor have been beneficial or needed other than for hanging fenders.

The lifelines in the cockpit are to me a nusiance, making entering/leaving the boat much more difficult.  The three different lakes I've sailed on, I've had to enter/leave the boat over the side from the docks.

I've replaced the pins/ring dings on the lifelines at the gallows with push pins, so we can unhook the lifelines to make access easier.  Most times, we sail with those unhooked with the lines coiled.

Welcome,
Ron

"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

waterwheels

Whether you do or don't be sure to get the mid-ship cleat or there is no good place to tie spring lines.

Don

alsantini

By the way Beth.  Where will you be sailing?  Love to see more Eclipse sailboats out on the water.  Not sure what number they are up to but it is probably still less than 100.  I have #49 and sail winters in SW Florida;  Summers are in Pistakee lake, part of the Chain of Lakes in Northern Illinois. 

captronr

Don,

Can you post some pics of your midship cleat pls?  Mine doesn't have them and I can see they would help.

Thks.
Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

Vectordirector

Hi Beth,

My boat has them and I initially thought they would be great to have "to keep from falling out".  I now have somewhat a love/hate relationship with them after 5 years of sailing the boat.  Bottom line is they are just in the way when boarding from the dock and they aren't real functional on a small boat where you go over the cabin top to get forward from the cockpit.  They are nice to hang fenders but I'd rather have the midship cleat if I were ordering a new boat.

The Eclipse is a great boat.  I had mine out for about 3 hours today on Charlotte Harbor FL.  Perfect day with 83 degrees partly cloudy and 10 knots of wind.   I can't think of another 21 ft boat that I would prefer over the Eclipse.   

Good luck with your new boat!

Sail on,

Bryan aka
Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

Cuttyhunk

I'll be sailing in Narragansett Bay, RI. I don't know if there are any Eclipses up here. The dealer has only sold catboats since he became the local dealer in 2012.

Thanks for the lifeline feedback, everyone. You've confirmed what I was thinking.

TedStrat

I DO have lifelines (came with the boat) not an issue for me and good to hang things for sure, but agree with Don and everyone about the midship cleats.....definitely a "must have". I called Gerry and he gave me some ideas where and how to install which I did. Easy few hour job but a bit tough getting hands up inside with backing plates and bolt but worked out well. Order now - you won't regret it.

-Ted
-Ted

s/v 'Helios' - Eclipse.....Huntington, Long Island NY

alsantini

I echo the midship cleats.  I installed them first year I had the boat.  I use them for spring lines. Anyone know what number Eclipse is currently in production?  Still seems to be limited production/  I think first year for the boat is 2004.  My 2007 is #49 and I think they are still less than 100.  So, 14 years of the Eclipse means about 7 a year?  Amazing especially since I have not heard of anyone who does not like the boat.  I talked with 2 previous Eclipse owners and their reason for selling was size.  They wanted a larger boat.  One guy hoped that whatever he choose would sail half as good as the Eclipse.  Wow. Impressed me.  Had a great Eclipse sail this past Tuesday.  Winds started out at 12 (about) and quickly went up to 18-20.  With one reef in and 50% of the Genoa furled we sailed along smoothly even in the waves.  No pounding just slicing through.  Love this boat!  Sail On everyone.  Al

captronr

Mine is a 2012 and number sixty-eight.  So if my math is correct, between your boat (2004) and mine (2012) 19 were built, or a little over 2 per year.

My understanding/guess is they don't build an eclipse until they have an order for one. 

I went to the registry here and only found NINE eclipses registered.  All but two were on the east coast, with Al and I being 'midwest'.  I have seen eclipses advertised in CA, so I know there are some there.

The newest one listed is 71, and that owner listed here in 2013. 

Not sure what any of this means, but there are many more eclipses out there than are registered on this site.

WHERE ARE THE REST OF YOU HIDING (GRIN).

Ron