a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Apalachicola

Started by 49captain, May 05, 2018, 04:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

49captain

I saw a thread from 2016 concerning Apalachicola, FL.  We live here and have a Horizon Day Cat in a slip.  If anyone comes to Apalachicola or is interested in doing so, drop me a note.  We'll be happy to give local knowledge, go sailing, and/or patronize a local watering hole.  We have a great sailing venue here.
Ron

brackish

Great offer Ron, I'll meet you in an hour, let's go.:)

Just kidding, a little bumpy right now, I'm in Mexico Beach, Whirlyboy Alberto is passing through as I type.

49captain

Hey, if you're still around we can meet for a beverage and swap exaggerating sailing stories.  Unfortunately it doesn't look like the weather will get any better this week.  Nobody out today.

I don't check this every day so sorry I missed your post yesterday.  I'm retired and free at all times.  If not this time, maybe the next.
Ron

49captain

Check out the August and September issues of Southwinds magazine.  There is an article on Apalachicola if your would ever be interested in sailing here.
Ron

belybuster

Thanks very much for the offer Ron.  Since I now know someone there, I'm putting Apalachicola on my destinations list.  Not sure when that would be, but sometime!  I'd like to do the same, and offer anyone coming to the Dallas area with their boat, or not with their boat, a sail on Lake Texoma.  We can take my CP 23.   Definitely not the gulf coast but still fun.

John
John

brackish

Yes, thanks for the offer, I'll certainly keep it in mind.  Ironically, I just got back from the area but did not have time for a side trip.  I quick trip down to Port St. Joe to scallop.  The scallops were the best in five years.  Florida Fish and Wildlife doing a great job of managing the bay, scallops are back and the grass looks great.

I'll try to catch up with you on a future trip.

49captain

October, November and early December are great here.  And, if you like camping and anchoring out, we have an uninhabited barrier island right here.  I've thought about trying to organize a rally (raid?  Flotilla?  Whatever).   Maybe in a year or two.....

I'll be sailing.  Anytime anyone's in town drop me a note here.
Ron

PJ

I would be interested in a fall event like that Ron.  This past year I did the Florida 120 in May, and wanted to do the Cedar Key mess about but they were only two weeks apart so couldn't do both.  Haven't seen anything in the fall in Florida.  Is there a time of year when the waters clear up in Apalachicola? 
s/v Good Tidings

49captain

The waters never clear up in the bay.  The Apalachicola River brings down silt and organic matter which is great for oysters and fish but lousy for snorkeling.  However, it is not pollution and the water is really cleaner that at Ft. Meyers or Stuart.  St. Joe Bay is much better for snorkeling. 
I'm thinking about an informal, loosely organized fun sail next fall.  But, anyone who wants to sail out to Little St. George this fall and camp out let me know. 
Ron