a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Jib Sheet Hanging up when Tacking

Started by gmerrill, April 03, 2018, 05:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmerrill

I believed I read this posted somewhere but my jib sheet is getting hung up on the gin pole attachment at the bottom of the mast.  Not every time but enough that it's a PIA.  What is the solution? Please
greg

alsantini

Greg:  First put a bit of tension on the slack sheet.  Don't pull the genoa over, let it come over on its own.  Not only will it push the bow through the tack but the tension on the lines will keep them off the peg.
Install a small clip on the mast about 6 inches above the peg and another clip just in front of the deck hatch.  Get a bungee and connect it to the two clips.  It will prevent the sheets from being able to catch the peg.
Sail On     Al

kickingbug1

you would have thought that com-pac would have put a female attachment point on the mast for the ginpole instead of the other way around.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

gmerrill

waterwheels

I as well had this problem. I took a small line and tied it from the base of the bow sprit to the base of the mast leaving it a little slack. I put a loop in this line about a foot forward of the mast. Then I took the jib halyard (which is only used for raising an lower the mast) and attached it to the loop. This basically provided a line from the top of the jib to the bottom about a foot ahead of the annoying stub allowing the jib sheets to pass over without catching. This fix did not require any holes or extra attachments other than a short piece of line.

Haven't figured out the picture thing here yet but would send private if you like.

Don
"Living Water"

gmerrill

Don if you could send picture to gregsauto@bellsouth.net
Thanks
Greg

slode

kickingbug1's comment got me thinking that it would be pretty simple to cut the pin on the mast off, weld it to the end of the gin pole, then drill through the mast bracket and mast where the pin was.  If water getting in that hole were any issue a capped tube could be welded in as the female receptacle.

The extended winter we're having here in MN hasn't allowed me to even get Sylvia out of the garage yet, let alone on the water.  There's still well over a foot of ice on the lakes!  But it seam's everyone has dealt with this issue, so I too would like to get the best solution figured out if it becomes an annoyance.

Scott
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

PENN

Not my boat, but an interesting solution.

I notice my jib sheets just barely catch the tip of the pin, before hanging up. 

I thought I'd try tying on a simple automotive funnel with the tip cut off, and that might do the trick.

PENN

Maybe a canvas wrap with Velcro is all that is needed.

waterwheels

captronr

Hey PENN,

Not to hijack this thread, but your pic is the first one I've seen in detail flying an asim.

My boat came with a new one

still in the bag.

Would you please start a new thread describing how you mount it, and how you deploy and capture it?  I've never flown one.

I'm guessing that if you tack, the sail has to come down.

And if you take it down (such as needing to tack), do you have to completely remove it?

THKS.
Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

PENN

It's not my boat.

I have also yet to fly the spinnaker.

I did notice, the pictured boat with the blue spin has the sheeting blocks connected to the rear post of the arch, but my boat came from Com-Pac with them mounted to the forward post of the Arch.

The pictured boat with blue spinnaker was put up on the Com-Pac facebook page, there are many more angles to view the set up.

captronr

Thanks Penn,

I don't speak facebook, but maybe I can find a friend who can assist.

Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

BoxCanyon

That's my boat with the blue spinnaker and the canvas/velcro wrap for snagging jib sheets.  Seeing how this thread is on the snagging sheets I'll stick to that and look around for another one on the spinnaker question. 

The canvas wrap didn't hold it's shape long and soon was snagging again.  I reinforced it with some thin plastic cut on the sides so it could fold in a bit and that worked better... but it's still a pain because it needs to be put on and off after raising or before lowering the mainsail or it gets all bunched up with the track.  I'm thinking of trying Waterwheels solution of a line with a loop and the jib halyard for simplicity and effectiveness. 

Cheers,
John
Moon Shadow

alsantini

I have yet to fly an asymmetrical off of my Eclipse but flew one frequently off of my P-21.  Same idea and just about the same size.  I used a sock to douse it.  The picture seems to show the lines in back of the furled Genoa??  This would require you to douse it every time you tack.  Running the lines around the front of the furled Genoa allows you to jibe and reset on the opposite side.  They are fun along as you have a long run before jibing, otherwise PITA.  Sail On....     Al