a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CP16 owners in Ohio

Started by onausable, February 04, 2007, 05:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onausable

Since I'm in the hunt for my own CP16 I was just wondering if there were any members of this group located in Ohio. I'm in central Ohio.

jkat

I'm in Michigan, Metro Detroit, and I'm not about to part with my C-16, but I've found that sailingtexas.com is a great place to find boats.  There are always a couple compacs for sale and you can look at old ones that have sold in the photo gallery.  It's organized by a retiree/sailor that has very kindly organized a place for sailboat buyers/sellers around the country. 
In fact, I just listed a '77 sidewinder (laser-like dinghy) on 1/31 and received a call the very next day by a guy that wants to look at the boat as soon as I can chisel it out of it's icy stowage behind my garage.
Good luck.  Hope I've helped.

Jkat

onausable

Nice to hear from you jkat. We get up to Michigan quite a bit and have a cabin in the Grayling area.

multimedia_smith

I just saw this today on the Yahoo ComPac Group site... thought I'd paste it for ya.
Dale

Dear Group... Wanted to let you know of a CP16, Marlee, for sale for any reasonable offer.  The owner, Lauralyn Bunn, was a keelboat student of mine in late 2001.  I helped her find Marlee which she purchased in early 2002 from a fellow club member at Coconut Grove Sailing Club.  He was caught in the "two boats" situation and I know she bought it right. 
Hull ABV04110M81F has a 5 HP Yamaha engine and a trailer.  It's permanent home since 2002 is on a mooring at our club. Lauralyn is a past student, a good friend, a member of our club and a healthcare professional, thus I offered to send this message to our group.   
You can reach her at 305-271-6278 or labunn@bellsouth. net.   If you would prefer to contact me, please do so off-line at crisler@mindspring. com.
I'm not to good with pictures and computers, but I trust you will get the image.
Fair Winds and Safe Sailing to ALL,  Richard C., ANGEL CP33/35, Coconut Grove

bwenner

I just bought a CP 16 last October and also live in Ohio (Cincy).  So far, I only sailed on Ceasars Creek and Cowan Lakes.  Got some work to do on it this winter and should be good to go this spring.

onausable

Thanks for the heads up on the CP16 for sale. I was hoping to find something a bit closer to home but I'll keep it mind.

westbay

We will be selling our CP-16.  It is an early model that has seen light usage and indoor storage.  The boat & sails are in great shape. 

We have 2 many boats and 2 many little kids (for small boats).  We live in SE Michigan.  The boat is near Traverse City.

I will look for pictures, research the fair market value, and post in the for sale section.

onausable

Westbay, email me pics and asking price when you are ready. Check profile for my address. I'm in the Grayling area frequently. Thats not far.

Nautibuoy

Keep checking E Bay.  I recall seeing a very nice CP16 for sale not long ago that was located on Pymatuning Lake in NE Ohio.  The boat was listed several different times, I can't say for certain if it finally sold though.

Salty19

Just seeing this thread now... 

I'm in Columbus.  My CP16 sits on Hoover Reservoir at the City of Columbus Marina near the dam (south of Smothers road bridge). Send me a PM if you want to get together sometime and go sailing at Hoover.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

adschmid

If anyone is sailing in the western part of Lk. Erie...or, the lower part of the detroit river where it leads into Lk. Erie...I sure would like to link up for a sail sometime, or just discuss interesting places to sail around there. I have a cp16 (1985). There are only a handful of sailboats in the marina where I dock, and I never see any of the owners. I would really like to talk to someone that knows the area well. Anyone?
Thanks! 

Salty19

I'll sail Lake Erie one of these days.   I'm admittedly a little scared of rapidly changing conditions up there on such a small boat..especially when you're a few miles offshore. Realistically probably will wait until I break down and get a CP19 to atempt Erie.

If you're ever heading to Columbus, let me know and I'll take you out on Hoover!
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

adschmid

I would'nt let the size deter you from sailing Lk. Erie. Your cp16 can handle Lk. Erie just fine. I've been out in some pretty rough conditions, quite far from shore, and she handles it like a champ. Maybe Ive just been lucky picking my weather, but, Ive yet to see the "drastic weather swings" and "pop-up thunderstorms" that everyone warns about out there. My biggest worry on Lk. Erie is hitting one of the thousands of "submerged net stakes" noted on the nautical charts!

Pick a nice summer day and give it a shot. You'll see that there isn't much more to worry about out there than there is on the inland lakes. Besides the submerged net stakes!

wetland

As suggested, keep an eye on e-bay - spell compac with all its variations.
I purchased mine on e-bay from a woman outside of Cleveland, OH.
The 1980 CP-16 gem was in storage for 20 years as her husband died and she
didn't have the heart to sell it.  So not having any experience with e-bay, I
put in this low bid and was actually thinking that I would get it for that.
So then comes the final evening at midnight and a whole bunch of people
start bidding. They passed my low bid  in a flash and all I could think of is
those people are taking my boat.  It was then for the first time I realized
how important getting the boat was to me. I was filled with remorse. Luckily I increased my bid
high limit by $1000 and won the beauty.  CP-16's in good shape are very desirable.
A lot of people want them.  If I had to buy a CP-16 again on ebay, I would
just really decide how much I could possible pay (even making sacrifices),
use that figure for the high limit bid (which is applied as necessary).
This way you get an automatic bid everytime someone else makes one.
Hopefully this gives the indication that you really want it and are not hesitating.
This Cp-16 is my second, the first I sold for a bigger boat, and looked for a long time
as I realized what a nice boat I gave up.  Good luck on your hunt.

Tom M.

Steve Ullrich

If you are willing to travel to get one there is one listed in Minneapolis Craig's List.  Be sure and check your local Craig's List as well.  That's were I got mine...

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/boa/1259251403.html

Good hunting.
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet