a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Composting head on HDC

Started by 49captain, December 19, 2017, 10:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

49captain

Another post from a new owner, but at least I'm not asking for advice here.????

Gerry at Com-Pac was very, very helpful in this endeavor.  I removed the holding tank and Marine head in my Island Packet 29 and installed a composting head.  We loved it.  No leaks, no odors, no pump outs.  I emptied the solids bucket twice a year.  It had to be ventilated with a 12v fan but that was the only power required.

When we sold the IP and looked at the Com-Pac we absolutely did NOT want a porta-potti.  I've had one before and hated it.  I did some research and came up with some options for the HDC.  Gerry and his crew took a bunch of measurements and we concluded that the C-Head Shorty churn model would fit where the porta-potti  goes.   

It's a perfect fit.  You have to remove the churn handle after use but it's made to come off so that's no problem.  Not to be indelicate but I've used it and so far no problem.  We'll see what happens when I leave the boat closed up for a week.  The unit could be ventilated using a solar powered fan but I'm going to wait and see if it's necessary. 

I'll post some pictures on here soon. 
Ron

cdflan

What's been your experience so far?

49captain

So far, much better than a porta-potti.  Some odor when I opened the lid but not much.  The key is keeping the liquids and solids separated.  We use the media recommended by the manufacturer.  I haven't emptied the solids bin yet so the stuff has been sitting there for a month.  It appears to be very dry and seems to be composting.  I will empty it in a couple of weeks. 
Our experience with these composting heads has been nothing but positive. 
Ron

PJ

We have a natures head that I bought for our Flicka.  Never got to install it but used in a dry cabin   for several seasons.  Very happy with it.  I know it won't fit in a Horizon Cat so interested in your updates on the smaller option you purchased, and if you determine the fan is needed.
s/v Good Tidings

waterwheels

Did all the research and measuring for my Eclipse, and could have made the shorty fit.  Should have sat and thought a little longer. In the end had a hard time with the initial cost and shipping to Canada. Been kicking myself ever since.

Let us know how it works out without a fan as that was also a concern I had.

Don

49captain

We've only used the C-Head a few times on a couple of overnight sails.  The recommended medium really keeps the odor down to the point of being unnoticeable.  We've left the cabin closed for two weeks and there was only a slight mustiness that dissipated very quickly.  I emptied the bucket this weekend into a five-gallon bucket.  I purchased the bucket hood and have it stored outside in a covered shelter.  MUCH easier and MUCH less objectionable than using a porta-potti.  I do empty the urine container after each sail.  The owners manual has pretty good instructions and we've followed them closely.

So far our experience has been nothing but positive.  The only issue I can see is that, for a tall person, the C-Head Shorty might require some hunching over in the small cabin of the daysailer.   We are both under six feet so it's not too bad, except on a hot day and you close the cabin door for privacy.

C-Head has an excellent owners manual and Capt. Sandy always answered all of my questions. 
These things should make the porta-potti extinct.  No, I don't own stock in any composting head manufacturer.  Yes, i am a big fan of these things.  Having now used them on two boats the only disadvantage I have found is that you have to handle the urine and solid waste containers to empty them.  However, as I've said, I'll take the composting system over the porta-potti any day.  Also, the composting system is much simpler than the conventional marine head and, in my opinion, much more sanitary in the long run.  I've had one leak in a hose to the holding tank and I never want to deal with that again.

Again, the C-Head Shorty Churn model fits under the deck on the daysailer just fine.  It's completely out of the way. It is not vented.  I don't know about other Com-PAC models but I am sure that there is one somewhere that would fit.  We installed an Air-Head on our Island Packet 29.  Gerry was very, very helpful and cooperative while I was researching which model would fit so I believe he would help with other models.  He should consider adding composting heads as an option on his boats.

It's been raining all day so I have lots of time to pontificate on this subject.  Hope everyone else is out sailing.
Ron

PJ

Ron,  I measured the head area today on the 2004 Horizon Cat that I just purchased, and only have 13 inches of vertical clearance, so Compac either changed the sizes from back then to your 2017 model, or custom built yours to fit the C-Head.  Also, C Head just raised the price on the shorty to nearly $800 smackers, so going to go with the portable Hassock unit which still may have issue closing the hatch but it is a $30 solution vs $759.  Thanks for your information.
s/v Good Tidings

49captain

I know that no special modifications were made to our boat.  I wonder if there is a difference between the inboard diesel version (which we have) and the outboard version.  I just measured the C-head and it just a fraction over 15 inches in height ( I have it at the house - we took it out of the boat and used it at the house during the hurricane when the vacuum sewer system was shut down  It worked great by the way.  I'm going to put one in my travel trailer).

Since it fits just fine in my boat there must have been some change made between your model and the 2017 model.
Ron

Potcake boy

I installed a C-Head shorty non churn model in my PH, and it just fit through the opening to the head after I removed the door. It did fit very good into the place previously occupied by the standard MSD. There are many reasons to use this solution on a small boat. As suggested by others I have long since gained a real loathing for porta-potties, especially after the nozzle became disconnected while emptying in the toilet at home. A small boat is in my opinion not a good candidate for a conventional MSD because you can't fit a very big waste tank and the 7 gallon that was on my boat would be full as quickly as a porta-pottie when you added the necessary water to flush it. Then there is the need for frequent pump outs, which is a pain unless you have ready access to a pump out station. I chose the non churn model because I am happy with tossing the bag after each trip. It will last quite a long time and can be placed in a bucket if it's inconvenient to dispose of right away. I do suggest a venting system because some disgusting creatures can appear when there is too much moisture in the head. Emptying the liquid container is no big deal, but be careful to not let it overflow. Although cleaning the inside was easy and effective because of the construction of the C-Head base.

I give Sandy's C-Head an A+.
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water