a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CP 16 on Craigslist in NJ

Started by Reighnman, October 17, 2017, 11:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Gardner

While it takes a little time,  in Virginia, one can get a title by sending a certified letter to the last person who actually held title to the craft.  If that person doesn't respond, or the letter is undeliverable at the address of record on the registration, then one forks over a few clams and a new title is issued to persons who stored the abandoned vessel.

If that information isn't available, call Gerry at Com Pac with the vessel numbers and he will tell you to whom the boat was first sold. Then you make phone calls to said person.
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Finbar Beagle

Hmmm, maybe I confused tie downs as being connected to motor mount.

Any, still would not be too trustful based on rest of boat condition.

And think of the camera angles if we bring other boat..

I tried once to title a title-less boat in NJ with no sucess.  It was my brother's sunfish, and since no engine, I ignored the part about it being over 12 ft.  On manasquan reservoir I used the loop hole the it was a " club racer". 

I have learned to go several times as different NJ DMV staff make different decisions, based on mood-family connections-or greasing the palms (this is NJ).  I got lucky once with a PA registered trailer with no title.  I had to notorize bill of sale.  3rd visit to DMF, and friends wife at window,finally got it done.
Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ

Mas

Well it looks like $150 is the tuition for title lessons, fiberglass repair lessons, sail repairing/making session, woodwork lessons, trailer repair lessons, water and mildew remediation lessons, etc............  You guys are better men for such. I would have never assumed I could attempt such work on a craft in such condition and end up with less in it than  http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/68192   That is also considering i don't place any value on my time involved.

Jus saying.....in case this ends up being a 16 foot fiberglass hole in the water into which you pour much time and money! On the other hand it is great that a neglected 16 might breathe new life. Any way someone is close enough to actually go visit this little boat? Sure would answer a ton of questions. NJ ain't that large! Good excuse for a road trip Kev and Bob.
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

K3v1n

Yeah I hear you , but 150 puts a boat in my driveway, 1500 not so much. Plus I can see a great video series on fixing her up. :D
1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

JERSEY SHORE TRAILER SAILERS

Finbar Beagle

Kevin,

Ellen (my admiral) graciously offered to help the restoration, by sharing bottle of wine with Admiral Lesa, while work is being done on boat.  She sees this as mutual stress releif mitigation.

I have none of the required skills, but am good at holding stuff, opening stuff, and driving to emergency room...and willing to help while Galway Terrapin is in winter lay up.

Finbar Beagle

Also, next weekend is good for me for a road trip.  Would recommend "loading up" stuff/tools so, if it still is viable, we make 1 trip...

It will only get colder...

Mas

Quote from: K3v1n on October 21, 2017, 08:47:33 AM
Yeah I hear you , but 150 puts a boat in my driveway, 1500 not so much. Plus I can see a great video series on fixing her up. :D

Agreed! Unless major hull issues compliments of water and cold, nothing mentioned can't be dealt with and a nice video is clearly in the cards. Meanwhile the price of those little boats has been on the creep up since we went shopping for one a year and one half ago. Not entirely sure why except harder to find them in good shape given their age.

Meanwhile Imma seeing a CP16 regatta beginning to take shape.  :)
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

K3v1n

Still no word from the seller, maybe the whole thing is a scam. :/
1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

K3v1n

Okay heard back from the seller, he has found the paper work! Now to find time to go up there. I already have plans for next Saturday. :/ Sounds like the boat is at the dock in his yard and has to be taken to a ramp....somewhere, yet to be decided.

Bob/Brian what say you?
1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

Finbar Beagle

Kevin,

I am in for next weekend (nov4-5)   Taking my 19 out of water oct 28/29.

Can bring Bauer 12 with Torqeedo, and Torqeedo #2 off of 19 for the 16. If you prefer using your tekacat, its up to you.  I think the Bauer will be drier, and has more capacity (she will seat 4).   I can tow with my Subaru. A couple of Hand pumps, and I have I submerable battery one that works well.  I have some white water canoe float bags that may help, if she is leaking...

Any idea what shape the trailer is in?  I have magnetic mounted trailer lights, and spare tires that may fit. 

K3v1n

Thanks Brian!
If we just put a Torqeedo on the CP16 that should work fine and no need for a tow boat, I would hope. I thinking of going up on Sunday to put eyes on this boat and trailer and scout out the nearest ramp. I'd hate for us all to go up and it doesn't happen. Maybe there is someone up there that will offer a tow, ya never know.

I'll keep you posted.
Thx,
Kevin
1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

Mas

So if this happens you will have 42 feet of boat! Pretty respectable eh!? I remind all the high rollers at our marina that we have 48 feet worth of boat. We're moving on up Kev! Now.......let's see.....31-26.....you only need to come up with 5 more feet to have a 31.   :)

Good luck and here's hoping that she is in condition to restore. Say hey to everyone up there.
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

Bob23

Ok..I'm in on this deal. Are we talking partial ownership? This way, we can spread the blame around!

Mas

Well then we can only give you 8 feet each worth of TLC (Total Length Credit). So....let's see...that would be 34 total for Kev and 31 for you Bob. That also means Bob23 would need to be changed to Bob31. I dunno, this is getting confusing...then there is the fee....:)
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

K3v1n

lol

I'll take full blame and ownership! :D
1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog