a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Bronze Port gaskets

Started by BBTVR, October 12, 2017, 09:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBTVR

Love the 1988 CP 27, just can't find the right gaskets for the bronze ports... Anyone have luck with Downwind Marine hollow black gaskets?
Brad in Baltimore

deisher6

Hey Brad:
I ordered mine directly from Hutchins.

Smooth Sailing

regards charlie

wes

Agree - get them from Hutchins. They are made of a very tough material like tire rubber. Remove the hinged part of the port from the part that's attached to the boat. Clean the old adhesive out of the gasket slot very thoroughly; I used acetone and a bronze wire brush. Then glue the new one in with standard rubber cement like you used in second grade. Then reassemble and crank down for a couple of days to firmly seat the gasket while the glue dries.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

deisher6

Wes is very thorough.  I recall that I just pulled the old ones out cleaned the grooves, slathered on some silicone grease on the gaskets and stuck them in.  I try not to over torque the ports when securing them.

Congratulations on your C-27.

Smooth Sailing

regards charlie

BBTVR

Hutchins no longer offers the ones for the pre-1990 bronze ports.....sold out.
As of last week.....

deisher6

Arrrrrrraaaaaaaah!
I feel your pain.
regards charlie

wes

Bummer. Did Matt or Gerry have any suggestions for an alternate source? I've found them to be helpful that way. Keith Scott at The Sailboat Company is another good source of knowledge about old parts.

While I'm singing the praises of Hutchins, I recently ordered a replacement holding tank and needed some modifications from the standard design to accommodate my desire for a different plumbing setup. They cheerfully agreed - no extra charge. Great guys and an amazing resource for our community.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Cruzin

Check on www.downwindmarine.com they have some options

Good luck!

Dale
" Some people never find it, some... only pretend,  but Me; I just want to live happily ever after, now and then."  Jimmy Buffett

kevin27

The 3/8" here: http://www.downwindmarine.com/Portlight-Gasket-Seal-Hollow-Black-Rubber-p-90891254.html
was a perfect fit on my '88. It's also nice to put a single drop of light oil on the dog threads.

Maybe overkill but used this 3M adhesive: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Black-Super-Weatherstrip-Adhesive?N=5002385+3292908126&rt=rud

They are really high quality ports.

Bob23

Seems like Downwind Marine's site is down. Any other sources you gent's might know about?

Reighnman

Site is back up. Now to measure a few ports this weekend. The list of projects grows as the list of projects completed stays the same.
Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat

Bob23

Yes I saw it was back up. And my list grows as well- just discovered a cracked rudder housing, I need a new one to the tune of 300 clams! I'll replace the gudgeon while I'm at it as it has a few corroded areas. I'm sending you a PM!!

MacGyver

BOB!

what about IDARUDDER brother?
They make that whole unit in a foiled plastic blade for a little more than that, I would think maybe a better option?

Just putting it as a option to look into!

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Bob23

Thanks Mac but I'm so in love with my wood foiled rudder blade...just couldn't part with it!!

Reighnman

Am I correct in thinking the 25 has two ports the size of the 27 and 6 the size of the 23? Does anyone know if the gaskets are the same width?
Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat