a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trailer for Horizon Cat

Started by New2Cats, September 14, 2017, 12:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

New2Cats

New to the site so hello to all. Recently purchased an 03 horizon cat and need a trailer for transport. I live in the Washington DC area and would appreciate any leads on where I might purchase one.

Andre

Hi,

I just purchased a 2014 HC in April that didn't have a trailer.  To expedite matters, I bought a new one from Com-Pac (the selling broker was a Com-Pac dealer).  Nice trailer - 4 wheel disks.  A bit pricey at about 5k, but I had to get one quick to get it out of the marina in CT and tow it 120 miles to NJ.  Lots of timing and logistical issues were involved.

Andre

New2Cats

Thank you Andre. I spoke to one of the Hutchins brother, think it was Jerry, in Clearwater who confirmed the scarcity of trailers and offered to sell me one.  Estimated price, without the shipping fee was in the $4000 range. A bit pricey given what I paid for the 2003 Horizon. Not sure what to do!

Andre

Yeah the $5k ballpark included delivery, sales tax, and I imagine some dealer profit.  I'll be glad to share some bunk details with photos and dimensions if you decide to adapt another trailer.

Andre

rmgeis

Tom L.

WARNING  The trailer listed on Annapolis craigs list would appear to be too light for the job. Total capacity including the trailer is shown as 3100 pounds.

In real life the Horizon has always weighed more than the advertised 2500#. More like 3000# as reported by some owners. Add the weight of the trailer which is most likely 800# plus and you would have a problem. In addition it doesn't appear to have brakes. If you don't have to haul long distances the trailer may be suitable as a yard trailer.

Just my Opinion as I just went through all this for a Horizon a little over a year ago.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

rmgeis

Tom is right, there are no brakes, this trailer would be good for only short hauls or a yard trailer. But at 10% of the price of new trailer, it has to look better.