a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Compac 19 versus Eclipse 21

Started by gmerrill, July 26, 2017, 09:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmerrill

I've ordered a new Eclipse. From my research the compac 19 was a popular boat. Other than the 2 feet in length and mastender mast. What are the main improvements of the Eclipse over the compac 19.
Greg

lkm

Off the top of my head (not knowing all much of the 19 other than pictures online) I'd say the 2 big advantages of the Eclipse are:
1) mastender system - a break in the mast above the boom.  No need to take down the mainsail + boom when trailering.  Setup is faster/easier.
2) open transom - I didn't realize how convenient this would be.  Getting on/off the boat is a easier, and access to the outboard is closer.
2005 Eclipse #20 - Figaro

Vectordirector

Hi,

I agree with the above.  Let us not forget the new bottom with the centerboard as it allows the boat to point better and go to windward with less side slip and a bit less draft with the board up.

Vectordirector

2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

gmerrill

Would it be correct in assuming the lack of the transom would make it more seaworthy as not to
hold any water in the cockpit should you catch a wave from the side and fill your cockpit up making it hard to capsize
greg

alsantini

I have no idea as to whether the Eclipse is more or less seaworthy than an 19?  I have a  buddy who owned a 19 years ago.  He will frequently sail with me while I am in Florida.  He claims there is no comparison  He feels the Eclipse is wayyyy better especially with the board down and going to weather.  I have not had a following sea make its way into the cockpit often but when it does it easily runs out.  Just don't drop your drink... it will slide out the stern quicker than anything. LOL
Greg.  I would guess you are getting close to seeing a brand new Eclipse delivery?  Going to pick it up at the factory?  Really cool and you will love it.  I wish you all the best.

gmerrill

Al
Hopefully a few weeks to a month away. Will coming down to pick it up. Looking forward to taking it out and giving it a good sea trial