a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Removing motor bracket

Started by rogerschwake, July 13, 2017, 10:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerschwake

I've trailered my boat with the motor on the transom for the six years that I have owned her. The motor bracket cracked on the way down to the CLR this year, a 300 mile trip for me. I could maybe get by for the rest of the year but decided after looking at it to replace it with a new bracket. What I want to know is if anyone has removed the fiberglass piece that the tiller passes trough, in to the cockpit. It looks like I could reach the nuts for the motor mount if that peace was removed. I'm 6'2'' and 230+ pounds and I'm always afraid I'll get stuck when I get down in one of the storage areas under the cockpit. If anyone has had that peace out could you please let me know, please. I really don't want to get down in that locker to take those nuts off.

ROGER

Bilge Rat

Maybe you could find a smaller person to crawl in there For you to loosen and then tighten the nuts. You're sure you can't reach them leaning into the cockpit?
'09 Sun Cat, '06 Catalina 16.5, '00 Lido 14, '84 Holder 14

Tom L.

Hi Roger. Yes the horn can be removed. After it is removed you can reach all the areas in the transom. I removed mine because the rudder bracket started slipping around and I adder larger and more bolts to that assembly at the same time I added backing plated to the motor mount and the rudder bracket.

The rectangular plate at the back of the transom will come right off. The screws on the front of the horn are sheet metal screws and will come right out. The horn is set in sealant and is really stuck in place. You will need to work a knife under the flange and carefully pry up the flange while you cut the sealant. If you just pull or pry it may break the horn or the cockpit so take it easy and work the blade around and under the flange. That takes the longest time of the project. After that its wide open back there.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Christopher

Roger you can buy bracket parts without buying the entire motor bracket assembly.  I had a crack on one of the side pieces to the bracket assy and I contacted the manufacturer and bought just the piece I needed.  If your interested in that then I will try to dig up the receipt so I can give you contact information.

Chris

Second Wind

bruce

Quote from: Tom L. on July 14, 2017, 10:27:54 AM
Hi Roger. Yes the horn can be removed. After it is removed you can reach all the areas in the transom. I removed mine because the rudder bracket started slipping around and I adder larger and more bolts to that assembly at the same time I added backing plated to the motor mount and the rudder bracket.

The rectangular plate at the back of the transom will come right off. The screws on the front of the horn are sheet metal screws and will come right out. The horn is set in sealant and is really stuck in place. You will need to work a knife under the flange and carefully pry up the flange while you cut the sealant. If you just pull or pry it may break the horn or the cockpit so take it easy and work the blade around and under the flange. That takes the longest time of the project. After that its wide open back there.

Tom L.

Tom,

Was the aft end of the horn glassed to the transom? I know one Picnic Cat owner who pulled the horn to install a ladder. He was able to get it off as you describe, but he had to tear the glass to free it. Not sure how he handled the reinstallation.

Bruce
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Tom L.

No the aft end of the horn was flush with the transom. It was buttered with sealant and an easily removable trim plate  made with starboard was screwed to the exterior of the transom. That was the easiest part of the removal.

Be forewarned, my boat was a 2002 or 01 so it may be different with newer Sun Cats.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

rogerschwake

Well Tom your post was a big help. Knowing the horn comes out with a little care is good news. Working in that area, beefing up the rudder sound like a smart thing to do. Chris I already have a new motor mount ordered, but thanks anyway. Any one needing parts for there motor bracket let me know, I'll keep it around for a few years. Still hoping to go to the Apostle Islands in the next two months if anyone is interested.

ROGER