a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Beaver Island, MI

Started by crazycarl, July 13, 2017, 02:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycarl

i'm looking for a jumping off point for a trip to Beaver Island, Mi.

i'll be trailering the boat from northern illinois sometime next month.

thanks in advance,  c.c.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

kickingbug1

head north east. if you see the yellow race marker, pick that up for me.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

crazycarl

If you and Sara come with us, you can pick the marker up yourself!

Tom L.

We used ramps at Mackinaw City and Charlavoix to sail to Beaver Island. From the other side of the lake I have no experience. It appears there is a good ramp at Manistique on the river. It seems to be well protected but I have no real knowledge of that ramp.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

crazycarl

Charlavoix is where I was looking on google earth. Do you recall is it a public launch or marina?  We're you able to leave your vehicle and trailer over night?

rogerschwake

If I recall correctly you talked about how you wanted to see the Apostle Islands some time. It would be a little farther drive, but great sailing. I could probably talk the wife into letting me go. It's great sailing and great scenery. Give it a though.

ROGER

Tom L.

CC it was along time ago but there is a ramp on Lake Charlavoix just south of town. It is right next to Irish Boat Shop. I think it is public.

I am talking the early 80's but it still shows up on google maps. Way back then it was a shallow ramp but things may have changed by this time. We had an easy loader trailer with pivoting roller banks to load our Montego 25 which drew 3.5 feet. Our cruising companions hauled out a Catalina 25 swing keel at that time as well.

I remember Irish Boat shop, which was very expensive said we would most likely have to use their lift. Back then they had never seen a trailer that could lift a boat like that. They were financially dissapointed as we hauled out without any problem.

We had launched at Mackinaw City. Our trip that year was from Mackinaw to Beaver Is. to Charlavoix.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

crazycarl

Roger,
I will most definitely take you up on that.
We could probably get Chris to join us.

This sail would be a 2 dayer with Joanie coming along.

rogerschwake

Just name a date and I can meet you in Bayfield. I will stay more than two days, the wife is usually happy for some time to her self. The tire problem is taken care of and I plan on working on putting on the new motor mount today.

ROGER

Christopher

Are you talking Second Wind Chris?  I already checked it out on Google Maps a few days ago.  I would want to spend one to one and a half weeks up that way to make it really enjoyable.  Since I'm unretired right now I'm going to have to pass.  Do it next year and I'm going for sure!  Maybe you all will enjoy it so much you will want to go back to those waters or beyond next year as well.  I will be retired again by then.  Please post pics and stories.

Chris

Christopher

Oh yea I almost forgot.  Is it true what they say about Beaver Island?

DsquareD

Quote from: Christopher on July 15, 2017, 08:59:13 PM
Oh yea I almost forgot.  Is it true what they say about Beaver Island?

Do you mean like how they killed King Strang?
Face your fears. Chase your dreams.

crazycarl

Chris,
I'm planning on sailing the north channel next July with the trailer sailors assc.
Perhaps the 3 of us could work a week in to sail the apostles next year. We'll talk more about over the winter.

kickingbug1

sarah says she would like to sail the apostles as well. she has a friend who  lives close to bayfield. by the way her mom passed away on the 10th. sweet woman she was. even to me. only up side is that we are a bit more free to travel. she will be missed---greatly
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

crazycarl

Please tell sara we are very sorry to hear of her mothers passing. Although inevitable,  it is still hard when one's parent passes.