News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Going to Jordan Lake for week (Apex, NC)

Started by PalmettoSailor, June 17, 2017, 11:24:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PalmettoSailor

Probably be using the ramp at Poplar Point CG. Would be appreciative of any suggestions. Kind of shaking out the equipment and learning how to trim in what I expect to be light and variable air.
First time on this lake. Looks like a nice body of water.

wes

Vista Point is the preferred ramp for sailboats; favorable wind and not too much competition with powerboats. Plenty of parking there, an excellent ramp and a little beach and picnic shelter. I live nearby and have sailed Jordan countless times. It's a pretty lake, but of course in the summer you can expect the dreaded "light and variable" winds. Wear a swimsuit and you can at least take a dip while you wait out the occasional dead calm.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Jon898

Jordan Lake is a really pretty body of water...we're about 10 minutes away.  Agree with Wes regarding using Vista Point to launch from.  If you don't already have one, Kingfisher Maps produce Map #1202 of Jordan Lake which could be a big help to avoid shallow spots and some of the areas with submerged trees https://www.kfmaps.com/shop/lake-maps/b-everett-jordan-lake-1202/ .

Weekends tend to be really busy with wake boats, pontoons and bass boats, while weekdays are much quieter.  Fortunately, alcohol is not allowed (enforced by the Rangers), so there are fewer crazies than other lakes I've used in other states.

If you haven't found it yet, there is a site that shows water levels, and is worth knowing about in case we have a lot of rain in the area (the rain catchment area of the lake is very big) as the ramps become "challenging" if the lake is more than about 3 feet above "full pool"...it's currently 0.8 feet above, so not an issue today http://everettjordan.uslakes.info/Level.asp .

Jon

PalmettoSailor

Thanks for all the info. I'll check out both the map and the boat launch.

BruceW

Jordan Lake has two parts, separated by a bridge that you might be able to sail under. Both sides are worth exploring. If you can't get under the bridge, and still want to try it, you can drive up to Farrington ramp on the north part of the lake.

You will certainly get tacking practice!  I like to do the other maneuvers each time out to avoid oldtimer's forgetfulness: jibes, heave-to, reefing, etc.

Enjoy the exploration.

If I get out there, it would be in a WindRider, and I'll look for you.

Bruce
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

PalmettoSailor

Hi Bruce
Thanks for info. My boat's not named, however I think it used to be. My cleaning and polishing seems to have uncovered the highlights of the name "No Tippy". There was no name on her when I purchased her 3yrs ago.
I probably won't try to deal with the bridge if I have to take the mast down. I'll be content to work the Ebeneezer and Poplar Point side, which I guess is South.
Hope to see you out there. I hope my wind app is accurate in forecasting four days with some 12 mph winds. Thunderstorms are also in the forecast. We'll see.
Marc

geeman

Just found this post and since Jordan Lake is within reach for me, I want to find out a little more about it. I'm about an hour and a half from there so a fact finding mission isn't out of the question but a bit of local knowledge would be great and save me a drive.  I looked at the PDF for Vista Point and note that it says that have a sailboat ramp.  How is it different from the powerboat ramp that is there also?  Just wondering.  Thanks.
1978 Com-Pac 16
Hull Number 558

AirborneJarhead

Wait...what? No alcohol allowed on the whole lake? Guess I'll cross that off the must-sail list. I quite enjoy a cold beer or two while waiting out those dead calms.
Cheers!
Rick
s/v Little Wing
Compac 16/1
Charlotte, NC

wes

Geeman - the "sailboat ramp" they are referring to is a beach area where you can put in dinghies like Sunfish, small Hobies etc. Not practical for keelboats. You will want to use the same *real* ramp that the powerboats use. The downside of Vista Point is that it's a further drive than the other ramps. The upside is that the power boats avoid it for the same reason.

Jarhead - all state parks in NC forbid alcohol. I imagine that's true in many other states as well. Whether you adhere to the rule while sailing is up to you.

Wes
Bath, North Carolina

mikehennessy

I used to race at Jordan Lake.  If you are drinking out of a red cup (or other colored cup) versus a beer bottle, they usually don't say anything.  Fines are hefty though.  The worst is that they make you dump out your beer!
2018 Sunday Cat "Good Chemistry"

geeman

Thanks Wes.  Exactly the sort of thing I wanted to find out.
1978 Com-Pac 16
Hull Number 558

Jon898

See my "Reply #2" above for links to both a "chart" and more importantly the lake level site.  Hate to see you drive all that way and find the ramps are closed.

Wildlife is also a draw at Jordan with plenty of herons, ospreys and a couple of bald eagle families.

Jon

geeman

Thanks Jon. Great info.  I missed the water level link on my reading through the thread.  How much up or down does the level need to go before getting in and out becomes a problem?
1978 Com-Pac 16
Hull Number 558

wes

Because Jordan is a Corps of Engineers flood control lake, its main purpose is to retain water during periods of heavy rain and release it downstream in a controlled manner. So it's much more likely the lake will be high than low. With my heavy CP 19 and lightweight Tacoma truck, I always appreciated it when the water was a little high since it meant I didn't have to back so far down the ramp. I have never seen it too high or too low to launch my boat.

Wes
Bath, North Carolina

Jon898

Quote from: geeman on June 21, 2019, 10:44:10 AM
Thanks Jon. Great info.  I missed the water level link on my reading through the thread.  How much up or down does the level need to go before getting in and out becomes a problem?

If the water level is more than about 5 feet above full pool, then the floating docks each side of the launch ramps start to float above the level of their attachment anchors closest to shore, so you will need to wade through some water to get to the outer end of the dock.  Each launch area does this at slightly different levels of water (e.g. the Seaforth ramps are a challenge before the Farrington Point ramps).  The video here https://vimeo.com/193438738 shows a couple of the ramps  that will show you the setup of the docks (Looks like Crosswinds at 3:00mins and Seaforth at 3:06mins).  It also shows how busy Seaforth can become on a summer weekend...why most sailors use Vista Point!  Incidentally, Crosswinds charges more to launch than the state-run ramps.

At a certain level (IIRC about 10 feet above full pool) the state park people close the launch areas, primarily because the parking lots are flooded but also because the ramps become unusable.  That has happened twice this year so far, in March and late April, and they were probably closed as well over Christmas although I wasn't paying attention then.  Vista Point may close a bit before then as the approach road is close to the water and I seem to remember seeing it closed when other areas were still open.

I live so close that I've never needed to, but a call to the park office at 919-362-0586 might be worth it if the water level is showing above 225 in the level site to avoid a wasted trip. In April I saw quite a few trailer rigs having to hang a last minute U-turn at the entrance to Seaforth area off US64 because the area was closed and they didn't know.  As Wes says, the lake is primarily a flood control system to protect the areas downstream of the lake and as a result of the USACofE controlling release of water, the lake can stay high for a week or so after major rain/snow events north of us.

Hope that helps.

Jon