a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Bow Pulpit

Started by rogerschwake, May 31, 2017, 11:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerschwake

Have been thinking about adding a bow pulpit and maybe life lines to my Sun Cat. Was wondering what the rest of you Sun Cat owners think about this idea. I'm not as light on my feet as I once was and would not enjoy falling off the boat. Going forward to get the sail down or set the anchor is getting a little harder every year. What are your ideas on this, good or bad idea.

ROGER

Sunapee Sailing

As I'm about to turn 60 and expect to be sailing alone O think that a bow pulpit AND lifelines are a great idea.
Sign me up!
Susan
Dreaming of a SunCat
A Horizon Cat would be great too.

Catawampus

hoddinr can speak to this. His Sun Cat has a bow pulpit that goes all the way around the boat *<:o)
Where are you Ron?

hoddinr

Right here!  Yes, and yes!  When Jerry and Hutch saw my custom stainless rails, they fell off their chairs.  They loved it.  They said if the factory built them it would be at least a $5000 option, so it wasn't feasible economically to gear up to build them.

Going to try to post a photo of Nomad with the rails.

Ron

hoddinr

Good.  It worked.

I think the rails saved my butt a couple of weeks ago when a foot slipped off the gunnel going forward.  The rail hits me about knee height, and it kept my right leg on board.  It works up by the mast and handling the anchor pretty well too.

A bow pulpit could be found at a marine salvage yard that would fit, and you can buy stainless stacions and life lines to connect them.

Go for it.

Ron

Sunapee Sailing

Wow, Ron...I really like that.
Looks good and very safe.

Hmm, marine salvage yard.......
Dreaming of a SunCat

rogerschwake

Looks great Ron, thanks a lot for the picture. As for finding something in a salvage yard, not much of a chance here in Iowa. The picture helped me visualize what the Sun Cat would look like with bow pulpit and maybe life lines back to the cockpit. I'll be doing some looking for parts and deciding how to go about this project, maybe this winter. Thanks everyone for the ideas and have a great summer out there sailing.

ROGER

hoddinr

There are a couple of them in Florida (at least).  One is in Ft. Lauderdale, and one is in Clearwater - Don's Salvage.

I think that's where the rail that I have came from.  It had originally been on the bow of a big motor cruiser, but it was gradually worked into fitting the SunCat by a very talented metal worker - previous owner - Dennis Marshall.  He said it took over a week of gradual shaping, hoping it wouldn't break or crease.

Good luck with your project.

Ron

Sunapee Sailing

Ron, when you get a chance can you post a few more pictures of the bow pulpit and lifelines?
Different angles and the such.
Thanks,
Susan
Dreaming of a SunCat

Floridagent

Although not a salvage outfit, marine-surplus.com carries bow rails it buys at pennies on the dollar from boat manufacturers that are changing their lines or going belly up. 

Also, I've seen the work Dennis Marshall did on Ron's Sun Cat and it is a thing of beauty!

Bob
"Cay Cat"     (say "keycat")

hoddinr

Hi Susan,

My SunCat rails do not have life lines - they are a solid rail system from bow to the rear of the cockpit.  Here's another photo.

Ron

Sunapee Sailing

Wow, thats very interesting.
How did you decide how much foward rake to give the stanchions?
Dreaming of a SunCat

hoddinr

Hi Susan,

As I said previously, I didn't design or build the rail system.  It was found in a yacht salvage yard - off the foredeck of a large power yacht.  Then the PO spent a week gradually bending and making it fit.

The attached photo gives a good idea how it looks.

Ron

captronr

The rails look very good, but I do have a question.  Will those rails hinder you from entering/exiting onto a dock?

The docks I use vary a lot in height, so going over a rail down to a low dock might not work for me.  In fact, I'm in process of adding quick release pins to my lifelines to make it easier to get on/off the boat.

Just a thought.

Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

hoddinr

No they are easy to step over back in the cockpit.  Very low there.

Ron