a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Just back in from Gaston

Started by CaptK, August 30, 2004, 01:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptK

Whew! Though a bit weaker than Charlie, Gaston took his own sweet time going by. I'd have rather had a stronger storm moving fast...

On the dock at 6:15 this morning, the wind was easterly, and probably in the high teens/low twenties, right from the direction of where of the creek where we had spent Charlie. I didn't fancy motoring through the rain and into the wind for two hours, so I elected to stay at the marina.

I will never, ever do that again, given the option.

We had 3-foot and larger swells running through the marina. A short list of the damage I know about: 2 small boats sunk, one 35'-ish really expensive Fountain powerboat broke the I-beams of it's lift, slamming it's bow down onto the dock. At the end of that same dock a big houseboat broke the dock, which then rubbed a 5"x24" long hole *right through the hull* of the houseboat (standing on the dock, you were looking at cleaning supplies stored inside the boat). A PDQ sailing cat parked on the T of my dock blew out it's fenders, and then it and a 45' cruiser tied there proceeded to tear apart and then break the T in half. It got bad enough that, in the middle of the storm, I packed up a ditch bag.

That's a bad feeling.

Anyway, I got some pics, and some short fair-quality video's - this one is 3.8 Megs in size, .avi format.

http://liquid-epiphany.com/mvi_1430.avi
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...

Gil Weiss

Hi Capt Kurt,

These storm related experiences of yours do not sound very pleasant. I'm glad you and your boat made it through Gaston OK.

I could not get your video to play. I'm using the latest version of Real Player? I wonder if anyone else had a similar issue?

CaptK

Gil -

If you are using windows, use that MS media player - it should play .avi's.

Let me know if that doesn't work!

sailFar.net

Craig

Kurt,

That video was awesome.  i could hear something squealing in protest in the background along with the howling wind.  I about needed my dramamine just to watch it.

Glad you made it through unscathed, as opposed to some of the less fortunate neighbors.

By the way, my browser used a QuickTime plug-in to play the video.

Craig

Gil Weiss

I took Craig's advice and used Quick time. WOW, you sure were "bobbing and weaving" about! I actually got a headache from watching the video.

Capt. Kurt, I applaud your courage for riding these storms out.

CaptK

The squeal was, I think, the whistling sail track of my mast. The clanging halyards were on a boat at another dock - and next time I know to secure them before the storm! Can't believe someone would just leave their boat like that... I bet that guys spar is weakened, just from the wear and tear of his wire halyard on the mast.

Courage? Heh. More like "he must not want his boat to sink really bad!". :mrgreen:

Compared to that marina experience, being in a creek is almost boring. :) Keeping a really close eye on Frances, and not liking what I am seeing. :( If that one heads this way, I'll be up a creek, have my stick on deck, and have so many lines out it'll look like a big spider dropped it's web on Epiphany. :D

Here's another video I put up, looking at Epiphany from down the dock. You have to turn your head sideways for it - sorry, won't do *that* again: :)

http://liquid-epiphany.com/mvi_1437.avi

sailFar.net