a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Potential New Owner on the Potomac

Started by Tim M, May 19, 2017, 09:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim M

I am in the process of buying a 2005 Suncat.  Wondering if anyone is in the Northern VA area and sails on the Potomac.  I know it's a great trailer sailer but would like to keep it in a slip.  Do many Suncat owners do that?  Thanks

Tom L.

I am sure there are some that keep their Sun Cat in a slip. But one of the main reasons to buy a Sun Cat is the ease of trailering and being able to cover a few hundred miles to new cruising areas in a short time and exploring new areas.

If I were going to permanently dock I would look for a roomier boat for the money.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

philb Junkie19

Tim, If you can get a slip you are likely to sail more.  Having a slip for my 16 meant going out when I had a couple of hours or an evening / night time sail.  Having something like the Suncat also makes it easy to load up and explore new places when the urge strikes.

Catawampus

My Sun Cat sits on her trailer under her canvas cover at our sail club a hundred yards from the launch ramp. Uncovering, rigging and launching can be done in ten minutes. No worries about keeping her clean, maintaining bottom paint and avoiding bottom blisters. Trailer parking fees are a small fraction of slip rent costs. I recommend that you keep her on the trailer.

jdklaser

Around here 4k for a slip for the season makes trailering extremely attractive. 

Mas

Quote from: jdklaser on May 21, 2017, 11:28:52 AM
Around here 4k for a slip for the season makes trailering extremely attractive.

Ouch! Our marina also allows folks to dry sail their boats and it is 10 minutes from the time i think i wanna go out, to in the water going out. It is also easier for keeping the boat clean, we use a boom tarp,  and as mentioned. no bottom paint. Also less worry about weather when gone. With a boat like that it would be my choice. Spend the savings on nice meals, and goodies for her!
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2