a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Eclispe Motor

Started by gmerrill, May 18, 2017, 11:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmerrill

The word I'm getting from Gerry is a 20" foot 5 hp is the right motor. I've had the 20" inch foot and had trouble keeping it in the water with big swells. Need some experienced advice. I sail the Gulf of Mexico coastal around Pensacola Destin Mobile and Ms Sound. Some strong currents coming at you through some of the passes in and out of the bays
Greg

Mike K

I think the emphasis Gerry might have been making was that 5 HP is all you need?  I think this topic has come up before on ComPac forums, and the consensus seems to be get the longest shaft that's available in the correct HP (not too big).

I would get the long shaft.  Especially if it bothers you more that the prop may come out of the water than if the prop drags somewhat on the tack where the motor is on the leeward side.  When leeward, my long shaft 4hp Tohatsu drags a bit in the water on my Legacy (low fixed motor mount), and it doesn't bother me a bit.
Mike K.  2015 Eclipse  Previously owned Com-Pac Legacy, Precision 21, MacGregor 21 Seaward 25

alsantini

Hi Greg.  Sounds like you are getting close.  Perhaps I did not mention motor size before.  My Eclipse came from the PO with a 9.9 4 stroke.  A huge and virtually impossible motor to handle.  The PO put it in my SUV so I could trailer the boat the 500 miles home.  Once home it took 3 old retired guys to get the motor out of the SUV. LOL  I sailed once with the motor and it was way over kill.  I switched to my Nissan 4 hp 4 stroke from my "for sale" P-21.  I totally agree with the 5 hp is the max.  I have been in the intercostal running against a flowing tide and directly into a 18mph wind and still was around 1/2 throttle for 4 mph.  I think the use of anything more than 4 or 5 hp just puts more weight on the aft end of the boat but will not ever be needed.  Long is good.  My Nissan is a long shaft and it rarely comes out of the water.  Take a look at the Mercury Tahutsu variety.  They are available in 4, 5 or 6 hp for the same weight.  Just carb and maybe cam changes give them the different hp.  Only difference seems to be that the 4 has an internal tank to hold maybe a quart of fuel.  The 5 and 6 hp do not have the internal tank (I think....)  All three can be connected to an external tank.  My quart of fuel in the internal tank got me back to the slip when my external tank pick-up failed.  I like having the option even though I use the external tank 100% of the time.  My buddy in Venice FL uses the 5 hp model on his P-23.  Good luck and Sail On.   Al

gmerrill

Think Ill settle with 4 hp long shaft
Greg

captronr

I'm also looking to repower, mainly cuz my 3.5 only has F/N (spin motor around for R). 

For simplicity, I'll discuss Tohatsu here.  What I'd like is Internal/External fuel tanks.  Also, F/N/R on the front of the motor for easy of access with motor already on starboard side of boat, and normal shifter to the starboad of that.

I've looked locally with zero success; sailboat motors aren't a big seller in KS....  One local dealer had NONE, and a chain store's smallest was 9HP.

I've tried looking online at 4, 5, 6 HP Tohatsu.

None of the places I've searched have a very good description, but closest I think I found is that:

4 and 5 HP have shifters on the side, but have or have options for external tank.

6HP has shifter in front and external tank.

Oh, I did see that some of the Tohatsu small motors come in 15, 20, and 25 inch length.....................

Not sure this helps or not.
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

Mike K

My 2013 4hp long shaft Tohatsu has a shifter on the front. I like it a lot, but the steering tightening knob can not reliably hold the motor straight ahead to steer only with the tiller. I also only have the small internal gas tank which is OK as I don't motor long distances.

I bought it online at onlineoutboards.com with no issues. It was a good purchase experience.
Mike K.  2015 Eclipse  Previously owned Com-Pac Legacy, Precision 21, MacGregor 21 Seaward 25

kickingbug1

i have a merc 4 hp and use the external tank. the internal one is so small and hard not to overfill. and my cap always leaked unless you really torqued it down. other than that its ok. wish it was a 2 stroke though
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

waterwheels

I put the Tohatsu 6hp sailpro long shaft on my Eclipse. I am very happy with my decision. The long shaft is no deeper than the keel but gets down into the clean water and has never come out or starved for water in big waves. The sailpro also comes with a 5 amp charger which seems to keep my battery topped up, even with only running the engine for short periods to get out of the harbour.
I was worried about the long shaft tipping up far enough to not drag in the water when sailing but it is not an issue.
Some of the smaller engines don't have a reverse gear which I would not want to be without when in tight spots.
Fuel milage is exceptional.
Don
Living Water
As far as I am concerned the Tohatsu 6 hp Sailpro was made for the Eclipse.

gmerrill

I found a website called online outboards.  They have several different makes.  Prices seem reasonable and the shipping is free unless there is some small print I missed