Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Panhandle area winter marinas

Started by thomeng55, May 14, 2017, 09:35:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomeng55

Hi

I am looking to locate my c27 at a southern marina from about November to April next year  I live south of Chicago and am trying to keep the asphalt commute to under 14 hours   This appears to create a target area from close to New Orleans over to the length of the Florida panhandle.

I am looking for recommendations,etc. I would like a slip with access to the open water whether directly, down a bay or even a river with the mast up. My 27 does have a trailer.

Mobile bay over to Pensacola seems like ideal area but definitely open to other options

Any suggestions

Thanks

Tom

brackish

https://pensacolashipyard.com/ - several of the BEER cruise participants leave there boats here for the summer season.  That is the season on the Gulf pan handle, however the weather is good year round.
http://psjmarina.com/ - Protected by and accessible to St Josephs Bay and open Gulf, very nice.
City of Mexico Beach Florida boat dockage - Just finishing up a major renovation of docks.  A hidden Gem. two minutes to open Gulf, short sail to either St. Joe Bay or Panama City Florida.  May not be able to get in but worth a shot to try
City of Gulfport, MS small craft harbor.  Brand new post Katrina harbor very nice.  Short sail to the barrier islands and open gulf. And if you like to gamble, well.......

These in no particular order of preference, I've used them all.  I particularly like PSJ and Mexico Beach, because I like the area.

BTW, Pensacola Shipyard Marina will let you store mast up on the trailer out of the water, but ready to launch at their ramp for less $.  A good option if you are only going to be down there intermittently.

hoddinr

I second the pensacola Shipyard Marina.  Stayed there during several BEER Cruises.  Friendly people and close to some nice restaurants.

Ron

brackish

Quote from: hoddinr on May 15, 2017, 11:03:54 AM
I second the pensacola Shipyard Marina.  Stayed there during several BEER Cruises.  Friendly people and close to some nice restaurants.

Ron

What years did you do BEER?

brackish

Also, you might PM Mike Greene.  Mike and Brenda, former 23 owners, are currently living aboard and have traveled the Gulf extensively.  They may have some insight about preferred marinas.

hoddinr

I did the BEER cruise with my SeaPearl 21 Whisper.  The first time in 2007 and the second time in 2011. (I think).

After that I started going to the FL120.

Ron

brackish

Quote from: hoddinr on May 15, 2017, 05:27:41 PM
I did the BEER cruise with my SeaPearl 21 Whisper.  The first time in 2007 and the second time in 2011. (I think).

After that I started going to the FL120.

Ron

I did it in 2010 and 2011, we probably passed in the night.

hoddinr

brackish

Quote from: hoddinr on May 16, 2017, 04:52:24 PM
The only one I have photos for is 2007:  http://wctss.ij.net/photo15.htm

Enjoy.

Ron

Great Pics.  some pics from 2011 on this post, most of the links don't work any more

http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=4311.msg30087#msg30087

I think this one still works.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/radiobiz/5815487684/in/set-72157626797489447

Jma1_nemo

I am also looking for info / advice on Panhandle possibilities for our CP-27.  Our last kid is looking at colleges in Florida and we have always planned to move to Florida once he finished HS.  We need to find a suitable marina for our boat that is within reasonable driving distance as well as a place that is within commuting distance to the school he will be in, Florida State in Tallahassee is the front runner, however we briefly looked directly south of Tallahassee and didn't find much to speak of. Maybe we were looking in the wrong places??? .  It sounds like the Mexico Beach area has options, but is a 2 hour drive from Tallahassee, so maybe a bit far. So would appreciate any info from you folks who know the area. Also would welcome info on the annual sailing climate, water temps , etc.  For example can you sail comfortably year round or ??. I plan to leave my winter weather gear back in South Dakota. Thanks Again

brackish

Quote from: Jma1_nemo on June 10, 2017, 01:13:26 PM
I am also looking for info / advice on Panhandle possibilities for our CP-27.  Our last kid is looking at colleges in Florida and we have always planned to move to Florida once he finished HS.  We need to find a suitable marina for our boat that is within reasonable driving distance as well as a place that is within commuting distance to the school he will be in, Florida State in Tallahassee is the front runner, however we briefly looked directly south of Tallahassee and didn't find much to speak of. Maybe we were looking in the wrong places??? .  It sounds like the Mexico Beach area has options, but is a 2 hour drive from Tallahassee, so maybe a bit far. So would appreciate any info from you folks who know the area. Also would welcome info on the annual sailing climate, water temps , etc.  For example can you sail comfortably year round or ??. I plan to leave my winter weather gear back in South Dakota. Thanks Again

You have to understand that there are not many options close to Tallahassee on the forgotten coast. You have St. Marks, St. George Island, Apalachicola, Port St Joe, and Mexico Beach.  Of all of these, Port St Joe and Mexico Beach are probably the best for Marina Facilities and open gulf access.  I just got back from Mexico Beach and their marina improvements are not finished yet, not sure when that will happen.  Port st Joe is a little closer to Florida State and that marina is very nice. 

Yes you can sail year round, mid winter you might experience some cold wet days but they don't occur often.  The water temp can get cold in winter and early spring, but I've been in the water to do repairs in November.  All the places mentioned above are quiet during the off season, that is non summer months which is the season in that part of Florida.  My favorite time is October with temps normally in the seventies with overnight lows in the fifties.

Those places are also nice areas to be a permanent resident. I would not have recommended Port St. Joe a few years back, but since they closed the paper plant and removed all trace of it and the chemical plants that supported it, it has become very nice.  They also opened a very nice hospital just outside of Port St Joe.

I would recommend that you take a trip across 98 through the forgotten coast and see for yourself.  Wait till fall.

thomeng55

Thanks for all the feedback.

Been off line a bit with computer issues so I appreciate the info... i'm just slightly delayed.

Tom