a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

How did you name your boat?

Started by ramble on, December 25, 2006, 09:03:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramble on

All of the creative names for your vessels are very interesting to me. I would love to know the stories behind the names.

For our boat, I named her after my wife. Cheri sings in a couple of local classic rock bands. They cover alot of cool groups with Led Zeplin at the top of the list. Her rendition of Ramblle On is too much (every time I hear her sing it, I get pregnant). And of course the dingy is Ramble Off.

Share your naming stories and it will help us all a little in getting to warmer weather.

Ramble On

Craig Weis

Well Ramble, one hot summer day when I first got into the water with my new namless boat I started to sing Christmas songs and It hit me on a high note! One line stood out...Comfort and Joy. So that was that!. Sail well and often. skip.
The 'P's' had five houseboats ...THITWA [Thank Heaven It's the weekend Again] was one name. Sageta [Shooting Star] for our Star Boat. Bottom's Up for my Penquin, well you can guess here.

ramble on

Now that is an excellent story - thanks!

I once had a Blue Jay with a faith-based name; Truth. If I went that way again it would be grace (The more truth about me I see, the more grace I crave).

Ramble On

pbrenton

My Boat, the Ella J, was supposed to be the "Alieda Ann" in fine Maine working waterfront tradition, after my own daughter.

My Mother, who is part owner, pointed out that her other two grandchildren might be a tad jealous.  Not wanting to create problems, I suggested my Mother's own name; "Marianne".  Mom got all teary eyed and explained that that was the name of *her* father's boat which, when he died (in '45, she was 11) had to be sold to pay the bills and she couldn't bear to think of that every time we sailed.

Fine, I said, how about we go back a bit further, my Grandmother was Leah, that makes a good name.  Upon sober thought, though, she was never happy when we all went a-boating, and always worried when we returned late from a day on the water.  Not a good spirit to have guard us, really, despite the fact that we loved her so. 

Geez, I said, How about we name it for Ella J Hamilton?  My *Great* Grandmother and someone who, from the stories, not only supported boating, but acted as an occasional stern'man' on Grampa Herbert's lobster boat when needed.  No one to get jealous, no bittersweet memories to concern us, perfect.

Now that would be the end of story, but when my Aunt (Ella's granddaughter, of course) saw the name at the launching ceremony, she teared up.  "There was never anyone I admired so much for her strength and independent spirit." and that in this small Maine island community chock full of people with strength and independence of spirit.  Made me feel it was a fine choice for a boat.

So Ella J it was and Ella J it is.
Peter Brenton & Family
Compac 27 "Nydra"
Chebeague Is ME and Medford MA

ramble on

Now that is a cool story! thanks,

Ramble On

B.Hart

My NUM1GIN is named after one of my wifes sceen names. I had the lettering made then put it on without my wifes knowing. She loved it. The moral of the story is when you buy a project boat without your wife knowing name the boat after her and she has to love it!

ramble on

You are certainly a wise and I`d bet, a happy man.

Your reply reminded me of my naming scheme I cooked  up with my first boat. Since I was dating several girls from my church, I thought I would make names I could change out so each one would think it was named for her.

It did not work as I had planed.

Ramble On

Bob23

When I first bougt my 1985 23/2 in  late summer 2005, she was named "Septembers Love". Yuk. Had these classic 1970's style letters. Since I was too busy tinkerin' with her that winter, I didn't have much time to think of a name. Funny how that consumes a lot of time and thought.
   I just had the lettering put on about 2 weeks ago. Final choice was "Koinonia" about which some discussion was posted under "Name change" here in the 23 section.
   Lots of names were reeling around in my head, most too corny to put on a craft such as our 23. I guess one just has look at the boat and listen what she says her name is. As with most women though, figuring them out is the hard part.
   Just launched yesterday and will have the first sail today down to here mooring here in Barnegat Bay, NJ.
   Ok, Bob out.

Gil Weiss

I bought my 1990 CP16/2 five years ago it it had no name. My previous boat was a GP14 class racing and we "stepped down" at our slip to get into it. The CP16 being higher had us "Step Up" to get in. The CP16, boat wise, was a step up being larger and much more boat. So, we decided upon the name "Steppin' Up"!

On a related note, I always look at boat names as some are quite clever. One, in particular, at the lake we sail is a boat named "For Sail".

rmonsma

I discovered that naming a boat is not an easy task.  After purchasing my compac 23-3 last fall I decided that the name "Markie Twitchel" just didn't work for me.  Since I'm not superstitious I decided to come up with something new. After countless considerations my mom, age 76 said, "how about taking your wife's name, Laura and my middle name Lee and name the boat the "Laura Lee".  I like the name and the women are incredibly honored to have the boat named after them.  Worth a ton of  brownie points if you know what I mean.

Roger

bob lamb

A few years ago I met a real estate agent who always responded to the question "how are you?" by saying "Blessed beyond belief, and spoiled rotten!"  I thot that was extremely clever and very true.
  Being a retired minister I've enjoyed a truly "blessed" life.  Thus, my little ship is aptly named "B'lest B'yond B'lief."  My previous boats were named "ITHINKICAN" and "NoHurry".

Bob
cp23d

ramble on

Absolutely - anything good comes from God. And what a blessing that He make a world where boats can float and sails can harness His invissible power!!!

mike gartland

More than a decade ago we liven in England and on a number of occasions vacationed in a charming hilly area an hour or or two northwest of London called the Cotswolds.  Among the many small rivers that run crystal clear over the local limestones is one callled the Windrush.  Each time I looked into the sparing water I was somehow reminded of my love of water, especially when viewed from a sailboat.  It occurred to me that Windrush would be an appropriate name for the next sailboat I owned.  (Actually the next boat I owned was a Precision 15 which I named the "Sail Lynne", in deference to my wife and to earn the "brownie points" mentioned above; we still own the P-15 in addition to our ComPac-23/3.)  Ultimately we purchase out CP-23 and bestowed upon her the name "WindRush" in memory of the lively little river in the Cotswolds and for the rush the ComPac gets from each new puff of wind and for the rush I get when she surges forward under those gusts.  All in all, she seems to like the name as much as I do.

Mike
Mike23

ramble on

That is a spectacular story and name! Thanks for sharing.

Bob23

BobLamb and Ramble On and anyone else:
    Out on the water I've had some of my closest times with God. Maybe it's the lack of distractions or the silence or the slow pace, but He certainly is out there. We often have some great talks out there. No wonder I named my 23 "Koinonia"!!!
   Bob