- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Wood flooring grate

Started by capecodprof, April 25, 2017, 05:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capecodprof

Hello again,
Hoping not to overdo it here, but I have a question regarding the teak
Flooring in my PC. Is there a secret to removing it to refinish or more correctly oil it. I have tried lifting it but it does not seem to want to get by the center board box or the back end of the cockpit.  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

bruce

It is an expensive option, not sure how many boats came with the grates. I searched the archives on the Yahoo PC list back to 2000 and I don't find any mention of the grates that would be useful here.

I've seen the grate boards laid for and aft and athwartships. Com-Pac shows them athwartships on their website. They don't show the forward end, but the ones I've seen don't encircle the CB trunk cover forward of the trunk, it's only a couple of inches to the forward locker bulkhead.

If that's what you've got, and the grate is captured, it looks like you just need to remove the teak cap on the CB trunk. I've had mine off a couple of times, no bad surprises.

Don't go too bright or they'll be slippery. Many let their teak sole grey up for better grip, not to mention it's much easier!
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

capecodprof

Ok.....thanks so much. I was concerned an about removing the center board box cover. As long as that is easy I'll be fine.  I will only remail a few loose boards and maybe a light sanding. Thanks so much!