a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

What made you buy your CP 23?

Started by ramble on, December 19, 2006, 06:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramble on

I am convinced that guys like us who love traditional sailing boats are a special minority. That some prefer reverse sheer to the sweet lines on yachts like the Com-Pac is beyond me.

I am curious about the CP 23 owners group. What is it that made you fall in love with and choose the CP 23?

Please post some of the big and little things that turned your seafaring crank.

Thanks,

Jeff - Ramble On

stacynmark

the CP-23 design simply reminds me of the classic sailboats I grew up seeing in Cape Cod and promising myself that I would get when I could afford to.  The other sailboats of this length that I've seen (other than the Pacific Seacraft) simply do not have these classic lines.

Mark (stacynmark)

ramble on

I have often wondered why more companies won`t offer traditional as well as more modern designs. I know Hans Christian does both.

My deeper assumption about my fellow CP23 owners is that we are likely to be traditional through and through. I doubt many of us are into hip-hop.

Am I thinking straight? Are most of you solidily traditional in music, clothes, etc?

edbuchanan

Luck had some influence on our boat decision.  My wife and I had a very honest boat salesman, who showed a boat that fit my description of a "traditional boat around 24 feet".  The boat, now named Molly, was in disgusting condition.  We removed two 50 gallon drums full of trash from her cabin.  The hull had a yard long beard growing on it.  The exterior was grey and the teak was growing lichens.  The bilge had at least 5 gallons of spilled gasoline in it.  PU.  But underneath it all was a very beautiful boat that my wife and I fell in love with.  The teak sole, the bronze ports, perky sheer, and generally heavy construction did it for us.  After only about two hours of oxalic acid treatment to the exterior, an unused boat appeared.  The interior cushions (which the surveyor considered beyond use) also turned new with a cycle in the washing machine.  The boat yard people good-naturedly considered us thieves for stealing their boat.
I feel like we own a Ferrari: at St. Michaels MD this summer we got nice compliments from two strangers, "the nicest boat in the marina".  A TowBoat US skipper said "you could go anywhere in that boat, don't let anyone tell you different".   He was very adamant.  An Annapolis yard worker once commented "the only g.d. boat in the yard"(!).
All in all, Molly has given us much joy, safely taking us where we want to go despite (some) horrible conditions.  On one particularly trying trip her coach was cutting green water.  The main-sail was wet to the head (it wasn't raining).  Not a drop below deck.  Do I sound like a happy camper?  We will not trade.
Ernie of Molly 23/II

Craig Weis

Molly sounds as if she is a very pretty lady. It's so nice to be in love. Skip.

ramble on

What do you mean by a "coach"? I have never heard of that.

Jeff - Ramble On 23/3

edbuchanan

Jeff,
   The closest formal definitions I could find on the web were for "coach roof" or "coachroof", both of which (on one website) are synonymous with "trunk".  Coach Roof is usually defined as the cabin roof raised above the deck to provide headroom.  The dictionary said a coach was a cabin on the afterpart of a ship.  Another dictionary search yielded a definition of trunk, which is a structure projecting above the main deck.  Sorry about the arcane usage; I have used the term coach for quite some time, not knowing where I picked it up.
Ernie / Molly 23/II

spaul

Ernie,
Thanks for "coaching" us a bit. I think the word coach is appropriate here too, makes sense to me.
We want to thank you for saving a valuable ComPac 23 and for loving her so much. It is truly a proud moment when you can see the fruits of your efforts.

Enjoy and welcome to the forum.

Steve Paul
cp27/2
"IM PAUL SIVE"

ramble on

Yes, thanks for the info on coach.

See, that is my point  exactly. Traditional boat lovers are also lovers of traditional nautical terminology. If he had said, "we sailed her until the cashizle was cutting green water" he would not have been one of us.

Ramble On

spaul

Jeff,
I think you're right about the traditional sailor speak. I believe sailors stick with what works since at times lives and certainly boats are at risk on the water.
I would like to ask you to explain what a cachizle is but then you'd be
"ramblin on" !

Sorry, just couldn't stop myself.  :)

Steve

ramble on

Too funny! Maybe that is why somebody at my marina changed the name of my CP23 to "get to the point"

(A cashizle is what Snop Dog would call a coach if he were a sailor)

For example:

"Redazzle to comizzle abouzzile" which, of course is, "ready to come about"

Ramble On and On and On

spaul

Of coursle Ramble on, I didn't make the connection to snoop dog. You are absolutely correct about his naming those parts. Who'd a thunk it?

Merryzle Christmasle to all,

Steve

rmonsma

Jeff,

I grew up in the early 70s sailing on lake Michigan on my fathers sailboats.  He had two boats over the years and both were traditional wood boats with very classic lines.  Brightwork and brass was everywhere.  We had a term to describe the vast array of fiberglass sailboats that were coming on the scene at that time.  We called them "bleach bottle boats".  I vowed to never own one of those.  When I decided to get back into sailing recently I wanted what I fist thought was an impossible combination until I found the CP23.  I wanted traditional lines, low maintenance, trailerability, a full keel with a big(er) boat feel, room for two to sleep, seaworthiness to handle the Great Lakes and enough natural wood to give the boat some class.  The CP 23 is all of this.  Unfortunately I can't comment on how my new boat sails because I purchased her in mid October and I need to wait till spring.

As far as reverse sheer is concerned, think about this.  We refer to our boats in the feminine tense using words like "her" and "she".  Therefor shouldn't a boat, especially a sailboat, have pleasing and graceful curves?  Makes sense to me.  Then again beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Merry Christmas!

Roger

Craig Weis

For all the right reasons a Com-Pac 23 fills in for the 'classic' sailboat.
Still sail on Lake Michigan? Skip.
Our family sailed out of Belmont Harbor, Chicago all through my formative years...
hardly ever effects me m,bdf'phnkmjd[p stdxlgc,v;B MF;...SEE?

Craig Weis

Coach is the 'dog house' as stated that is above the deck and it's side usually contains the portholes.

I was very close to putting my 'coach' in for a dip two Novembers ago while sailing with my sister-in-law.

Of course I was out of control and may not have been thinking right seeing that it was almost 32 deg F out.

My Com-Pac 19 [hull 588], Comfort and Joy would have weather helmed had it not been fore the IdaSailor rudder.

For safety sake I had the lower portion of the drop board [I had cut mine into two pieces on a 45 deg for easier storage and a sun shade while below] in place but the slider was open and it was easy to see into the cabin, and as we 'dipped' I watched the green bay water shipped on board flow past the port side~port holes, over the cockpit combing and wash out the soul of the cockpit and disappear through the scuppers. We almost got wet buns. Oh what fun! We could not stop laughing...AND we only had the head sail up!.

Live and let live. Skip sailing with Georgiann.