a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Buying a 1986 Com-Pac 27

Started by SailingShadow, March 17, 2017, 04:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SailingShadow

The boat is in excellent condition and has been well maintained.
In reading up on it a Boat Us review cautions about a significant number of rudder delamination failures on the Com-Pac 27's.

Article states most all boats over 10 years old will need a new rudder, available from com-pac for about $1000.00

http://www.boatus.com/boatreviews/sail/ComPac27.asp

Has anyone had any experience  with this?

bobp

$740 plus shipping as of Apr 2016. Mine looked ok until it was soda blasted. Then you could see large bubbled areas on both sides of the rudder. If you take a screwdriver handle and tap around you can find those areas as they sound different than good areas. Same procedure as looking for blisters in the hull. Good luck

Robert

CurtTampa

My 1989 had a bubble about the size of my hand. It was an easy fix with West Epoxy. Drilled several holes  and pumped epoxy in using a syringe, starting at the bottom and going up taping holes as the cavity filled. Placed a strap over a piece of 2x6 lumber and around the rudder.  Tightened it down snug careful not to deform the rudder. It seems to have maintained its shape and integrity.

wes

Only a surveyor run amuck would say we all have to buy new rudders for our older CP 27s. Rudder delamination is not a difficult repair if you have basic epoxy skills. Sheesh, this is the least of your worries.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

bobp

I'm going to call them blisters as I did repair mine just as you would  a blister. My rudder was replaced because I backed into something below the water while in the Florida Keys and it bent the rudder shaft.