Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Proper repair for dings in top side

Started by Peter Dubé, October 16, 2015, 09:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Dubé

Chris,

I wanted to thank you again for suggesting I get the proper color gelcoat from Hutchins. It arrived yesterday. I have called them two times since then to confirm that what they sold me was gelcoat mixed with pigment. Both persons I talked to said that all I need to do is add the hardener.

I have two vertical surfaces that need repair. They said it was ok to add filler to it, to stiffen it.

I have three spots masked off and ready to repair.

Peter
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

Tom Ray

Glad to see you found a boat, Peter!

I would offer advice on gelcoat repair, but you saw the product of my efforts on Wily Conch so you'd know not to listen! ;)

Peter Dubé

Hi Tom!

Good to hear from you. Your repair was fine.

I'm having fun cleaning and repairing my new to me sun cat. I ended up taking off all the extra lines and controls. I wanted to see how it sailed and behaved in its original state. Removed: downhaul, lazy jacks, topping lift,. So far,i like the way it looks and sails. If I add back anything it will be the topping lift.

I'm struggling to get her to heave to. I need to master this so that I will be able to reef single handed or to just take a break. Any suggestions?

Peter
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

Tom Ray

Sun Cats are very well behaved if you just turn across the wind and let go the sheet. Parking mode.

Not very useful for reefing. The end of the boom is too far away and the slides don't want to move at that angle.

Really my best suggestion is to fire up the engine and either use an autopilot or tiller lock to head upwind.

As you saw, my reefing lines end on the boom and it is possible to head up, quickly reef, then fall back off. It's also possible to not be quick enough. Cheating a bit by using the engine is annoying but also more relaxing.

Things went horribly wrong when I decided to shake out a reef during a race at the Sun Cat Nationals a few years back. It would have looked super-smooth as I had a very skilled guest helmsman aboard so I could focus on the lines. Problem was, my gaff downhaul made its way around the nav light and snagged. By the time I figured it out and got up there to free it, we were beam to wind, reefing lines out of reach. It was ugly and cost us far more time than we gained by having the extra sail for the rest of the race.

Peter Dubé

Well, Im pretty much done with the repairs of the dings on my 2004 SC.  I purchased gelcoat from the Hutchins.  We are so lucky to have the builder right here in Florida.  Very easy to work with them. 

Thought I would show you the results of the repair.  I know its not perfect.  It was my first time working with gelcoat.  Im happy with the results.

THANKS to all of you that helped me with this project!

Peter

Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL