a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Powering with a Torqeedo

Started by rbh1515, July 26, 2014, 12:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

relamb

The com-pac dealer in Indianapolis sells torqeedo, and although I haven't seen a compact with it, there are several Catalina 22's at the local sailing club which have them, from the same dealer.  It's a small lake, only a few miles long, so there's not much wind/wave action and no current.  But it appears they do just fine in that situation.  I've powered my CP16 and my CP23 with an old 17lb thrust Minn-kota electric trolling motor several times when my outboard was off for service.  It will get you away from the dock and out into the lake.
However I would not recommend something that small (17 lb thrust) on the 23 in any kind of wind/wave conditions.  When there's wind, well we just sail!   It will run for a few hours on a deep cycle battery.
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

cdflan

Installed a Torqeedo Cruise 4.0 in my Horizon Cat when it was built last fall.  Very happy with it and performance is great.  Cruises at 4 1/2 knots at 1 kw which gives maximum range of 44 NM or 35 NM (essentially all day) with 20% reserve (205AH batteries).  Maximum speed is 6 KN which is hull speed but that severely limitsw range.  Drag while sailing is minimal - probably about 1/4 KN and the prop does free wheel once you're moving.  I cut off the top end of the motor and permanently installed it through the keel with only the prop wash on the rudder as a minor issue  Have done a 35 mile trip from St. Pete to Sarasota in very light winds motorsailing and used only about 40% of battery capacity.  Write up on the installation is on the Horizon Cat page under "An Electrified Horizoon Cat".

Aldebaran_III

The Cruise 4.0 sounds like a good match, but I wouldn't recommend the little Torqedo 1003.
I was able to borrow one earlier this year, I took off my 6hp Tohatsu and put on the 1003. It easily pushed the boat at 5 knots on the GPS (no current). However, even at 4 knots I started to suffer range anxiety after about 1-1/2 miles. I turned around and was down to about 30% when I got back. You'd really have to carry spare battery packs. I was so happy to have my Tohatsu back on the boat, 3 gallons of gas will get me anywhere I want to go, at hull speed and with fuel left over.
The 1003 is really neat and well built, but its better suited to a lightweight tender, for mother-ship to shore runs.

Derek

rbh1515

I still like the 1003.  If I get it I would get an extra battery.  I need to call Torqeedo to see if I could hook up a different battery with more capacity to it.  I like that it is very light weight,  that you can take off the tiller handle, and hook up an external throttle.  Since I daysail, I just motor in and out of the harbor for about 5-10 minutes, the 1003 may work.  Need to do more research!
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

rbh1515

Just talked to a guy in our marina that just got a Torqeedo 1003 for his Hunter 216.  When he motors the boat out of the slip to the harbor, goes sailing, then lowers the sails in the harbor and motors back to the dock, he still has 80% power left!   Not bad.
Rob

cdflan

Another thought - I believe Com-Pac at one time offered an outboard motor well for the Horizon Cat.  It was dropped because of ventilation and exhaust problems.  With a Torqeedo Cruise 4.0 or similar, this wouldn't be a problem and would allow raising the motor/prop unit out of the flow when not in use.  Might want to check with the factory.

rbh1515

Thanks for the info.  Will definitely check into it!
Rob

rbh1515

Nigel Calder has some nice comments about the Toqeedo in the Dec Sail issue.
Rob