a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Powering with a Torqeedo

Started by rbh1515, July 26, 2014, 12:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbh1515

So, I've been researching the new Horizon Day Cat and it looks like a nice little boat.  I currently have a Catalina 28 and want to downsize and simplify since we only daysail.  I don't really need a boat with a diesel engine.  I use the boat a lot, but it just goes in and out of the harbor and the diesel gets old!  I don't need a big cabin with galley, hot water stove, etc.
So, in researching a motor for the day cat I like the idea of an outboard but hear that reaching the throttle and shifter can be a pain.  Also, some of the gas outboards don't look so pretty hanging off the stern of such a nice classic boat.
I started looking at the Torqeedo 1003.  It weighs about 30 lbs and when you detach the battery which in mounted on top, the engine only weighs about 20 lbs.  Also, you can remove the throttle handle and hook up a remote throttle...no reaching back.  If you are worried that the battery won't give you enough range, you can get a 2nd one.  The engine is not cheap (I think it's $2k plus $600 for a 2nd battery...not sure how much for the remote throttle), but you don't have any yearly maintenance, and no messy gasoline.  Plus very easy to take on and off.
I think this is what I will get if I buy a Horizon Day Cat!
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

HeaveToo

For just day sailing it might be okay.

Are there strong currents in and out of your marina?  Does your sailing area suffer from the occasional high winds and waves?

I don't know if I would trust this in the Chesapeake Bay area with my experiences there.  I am not sure what your area is like.
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

archimedes

Solar is interesting,  and has made some amazing advances in the last few years,  but it is really hard to beat the energy density of hydrocarbons.   There is no way a battery can compare with the energy in a five gallon tank of gas. 

rbh1515

I sail on Lake Michigan in Milwaukee.  No real currents.  Winds can be strong of course.  It takes no more than 10 minutes to get in and out of the marina, and I only daysail.  If I was cruising I would not consider the Torqeedo.  I really like the remote throttle option.  And I think having a second battery gives added piece of mind.
Rob

HeaveToo

Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

rbh1515

The Lehr was my original choice, but like gas it is pretty heavy and IMO would look pretty clunky hanging off the stern.

Shawn

Do you have shore power at your marina? Another electric option that might be interesting to consider would be something like the Minn Kota "engine mount" trolling motors.

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/trolling_motors/engine_mount/freshwater.aspx

Mount it under the stern and in essence you would have something similar to an electric inboard with nothing mounted on the stern. Their smallest model would have a little less thrust than the Torqueedo, the next model up has about 20% more thrust.

Shawn

HeaveToo

The problem with mounting that to the hull under the stern would be that it would be a lot of drag on the boat when sailing.  A prop often slows you down about a half of a knot, maybe more in light winds.  That also would make it a permanent mount and he couldn't remove it easily.
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

capt_nemo

Guys,

A few years ago on the internet I came across a Sun Cat that had a small electric motor (like engine mount) attached to a horizontal plate fixed to the underside of the aft end of the stub keel. The motor itself was located behind the lower part of the stub keel protected from harm. Those motors are sooo small in dimensions, even with props, that the drag (behind the stub keel) is not that significant compared to that of a large standard inboard prop. The installation was clean and neat - electric wires came in through the hull to controls in the cockpit.

capt_nemo

Shawn

"The problem with mounting that to the hull under the stern would be that it would be a lot of drag on the boat when sailing. "

Being that it is connected to an electric motor the prop likely just free spins while sailing. Without a load connected to the motor there would be almost no resistance to it spinning.

Shawn

brackish

If you are talking about buying new why not consider the ELCO electric inboard that Hutchins offers as an option in the Launch.  It is the same hull so I'm sure they could easily offer that option in the Day Cat.  I don't know the relative costs, but for ease of use, clean appearance and resale value I would invest in that option if I was sure electric is the right answer for my sailing profile.

http://www.com-pacyachts.com/motor-yachts/compac-launch.html

scroll down to the section on the Elco in the Launch

http://www.com-pacyachts.com/news/

rbh1515

brackish

HeaveToo

For that price you could just put a diesel in there!
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

rbh1515

Diesel is around $12k.  I really don't want a diesel.  I wouldn't use it enough, and then there is the yearly maintenance.