- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New to Trailer Sailing

Started by Floyd, February 20, 2014, 11:59:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MKBLK

Quote from: Citroen/Dave on February 22, 2014, 05:33:44 PM
In addition to my earlier comments:  

Nights on board a CP16 are a small challenge: I like sleeping on a cockpit platform covered with square life-cushions fillers, with the quarter berth mattresses on the benches, under a boom tent, or not. My platform is three squares of plywood (otherwise stored under a quarter berth) suspended on two wood strips along and just under the cockpit bench tops. This makes a level double berth.

I can testify to the "challenge" aspect of sleeping in the cockpit of a CP16. Did so at last years Barnegat Bay Bash at Tice's Shoals in NJ. I rigged a boom tent which worked real well... no dampness in the morning, and had raised my cockpit grate to bench level to inflate my air mattress on - really comfy. Only problem was that when fully inflated, the top of the mattress was even with the gunnels... and, the wind blew at 10-15 knots all night long! I had to hold on to keep from taking an unwanted bath in the bay! I did let some of the air out so I could sink into the mattress a bit. And, oh yeah, because of the wind, did have some anchor drag... just ask jthatcher.

Marty K.
1981 CP16 Pegasus
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

kickingbug1

theres a guy i know (as do a few others on here) named john j. he installed the long wooden strips near the top of the footwell, like salty mentioned but used plexiglass for the filler. i sailed with him once with the plexi installed. you just kind of stretched out like on a cat trampoline. it was a hell of a lot of fun. if i overnighted with my cp 16 thats the way i would rig mine.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

mikew

Floyd, just want to say I used to live in St. Pete and  sailed my Compac 16 on the bay. I would launch from the ramp at Demans landing near the pier. I also did some overnight sails anchoring out in Vinoy basin near the pier, the upper bay near the Gandy bridge and across the bay, staying at an overnite slip in Bahia Beach Resort, Ruskin. Tampa bay is a great place to sail the Cp-16, if you sail the summer months don't forget a bimini top.  Sorry, I live up north now but still sail a Cp-16.
Mike  

Floyd

Thanks. That is my general plan as well; day sails and overnighters in the Tampa Bay area.

Relatively speaking, the Tampa Bay Area is a friendly place to sail (mostly mild weather, shallow water, very little current, a few islands, and lots of interesting places to visit).

I used to crew a lot for racing sailboats in the Tampa Bay area, but my racing days are over.

I have a dock available in Apollo Beach. I am looking to buy a used CP-16 or 19 now.

Floyd in Tampa Bay

MKBLK

Floyd - I love my CP16, but if you're planning to have a place to comfortably escape the elements... go with a 19. I refer to my 16's interior as a little Gemini capsule. Also, the 19's boom height will make utilizing a Bimini much easier.

Marty K.
1981 CP16 Pegasus
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

HideAway

"I would launch from the ramp at Demans landing near the pier."

If you launch there be extremely mindfull of the sign on the dock that says "ramp ends here" or some such warning.   What it should say is "bottomless pit begins here"   It has claimed many trailers and vehicles over the years.  The sign placement is exact.   We launched our Sea Pearl there with no issues but I would not even think about launching HideAway there.  M
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/