Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New to Trailer Sailing

Started by Floyd, February 20, 2014, 11:59:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Floyd

Greetings all!

Is there anyone in the Tampa Bay area willing to give me a test sail on a Com-Pac 16?

I am considering buying a used CP 16 and I would really like to get a feel for the boat before I buy one. I have done quite a bit of racing on bigger boats but I have no real experience on anything as small as the Com-Pac 16.

I am brand new to this site. Thanks to all for sharing all the valuable knowledge!

Floyd in Tampa Bay

skip1930

That's kind of how I got my feet wet with a CP-19. I asked for and bummed a ride on Gerry's CP-19, Peanut Butter.
Then I found and bought my CP-19, Comfort & Joy ... as did Steve who has Wind Rover. Another CP-19. Our flotilla.

There's a few CP-16's around here but there 1730 miles away and under ice.

skip.

Billy

I have a 19 and would be happy to take you for a spin.

If you are dead set on a 16,the Florida get together is coming up in early May and I am sure you could hitch a ride then.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Bob23

Welcome, Floyd.
   I'm in NJ so I can't directly help but wanted to give a hearty welcome the greatest sailboat forum in the universe.
Humbly yours,
Bob23 and 1985 23/2 "Koinoina" in NJ

Floyd

Floyd

Quote from: Bob23 on February 20, 2014, 04:42:47 PM
Welcome, Floyd.
   I'm in NJ so I can't directly help but wanted to give a hearty welcome the greatest sailboat forum in the universe.
Humbly yours,
Bob23 and 1985 23/2 "Koinoina" in NJ

Thank you!

Mmmmmm.........I am obligated to report that the Tampa Bay area is 79 degrees, sunny with a chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon, winds SSW at 16 mph..................

Citroen/Dave

Floyd,

I am in Virginia and would offer you a test sail if you were here.  

My first experience on a CP16 was a step-board at a Washington DC Marina.  I confess I did not have permission but I needed to know what kind of stability a 16 had.  I quickly stepped back off.  The boat did not rock.  The tide was out and I thought the keel was stuck in the mud, it was so stable.  Since I have acquired a CP16/2 I now know that the free floating stability is phenomenal.  More like a 26 foot deep-keel boat.

If you get a CP16 [especially a 16/2 or 16/3 with the bowsprit  (2's and 3's have a slightly larger jib and slightly smaller main)],  get it equipped with a foil rudder or replace the original flat plate rudder.  These changes eliminate a slight tendency for a heavy helm.  The original rudder also stalls easily causing drag.  The best other addition is a larger head sail for lighter wind days and the balance thing cured by the bowsprit and sail change on the 2's and 3's.  

I have never been in irons.  I have never scared my sweetheart with an unruly boat.  I have often sailed at hull speed passing bigger boats with the larger head sail, sometimes held out wing-on-wing with a boat hook.

I hope this helps. . .  I guess you can tell I'm in love with my 16/2.
Dave
'87 ComPac 16/2  "Keep 'er Wet" renamed "Slow Dancing"

Bob23

Ok now Floyd:
   The last think us Northerners want to hear is how nice and warm it is down south so don't get off on the wrong foot! Haha ;D ;D ;D
   Temps tomorrow here in Ocean County, NJ are forecast to go into the mid 50's. Time to sneak out for a row and/or sail.
   Hope you find your 16. Even though I have a fine 23, I still keep one eye open for that unresistable deal on a neglected 16. There's one near my house...poor boat just sits there year after year aging. She even made it through Hurricane Sandy. Out of general prinicples, I should just steal it! Well, maybe not.
Bob23

Craig

Hi Floyd! Welcome. We live in Punta Gorda but can confirm your weather report since we are staying at The Pink Palace (aka The Don Cesar) tonight. Good luck in your search for a C-16. There are several owners in our area and hopefully will see your post re a test sail.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Pacman

Floyd,

I am in Sarasota.

PM me if you would like to go for a sail in Sarasota Bay.

Dave
Com Pac 16: Little Boat, Big Smile

Floyd

Quote from: Citroen/Dave on February 21, 2014, 04:55:02 PM
Floyd,

I am in Virginia and would offer you a test sail if you were here.  

My first experience on a CP16 was a step-board at a Washington DC Marina.  I confess I did not have permission but I needed to know what kind of stability a 16 had.  I quickly stepped back off.  The boat did not rock.  The tide was out and I thought the keel was stuck in the mud, it was so stable.  Since I have acquired a CP16/2 I now know that the free floating stability is phenomenal.  More like a 26 foot deep-keel boat.

If you get a CP16 [especially a 16/2 or 16/3 with the bowsprit  (2's and 3's have a slightly larger jib and slightly smaller main)],  get it equipped with a foil rudder or replace the original flat plate rudder.  These changes eliminate a slight tendency for a heavy helm.  The original rudder also stalls easily causing drag.  The best other addition is a larger head sail for lighter wind days and the balance thing cured by the bowsprit and sail change on the 2's and 3's.  

I have never been in irons.  I have never scared my sweetheart with an unruly boat.  I have often sailed at hull speed passing bigger boats with the larger head sail, sometimes held out wing-on-wing with a boat hook.

I hope this helps. . .  I guess you can tell I'm in love with my 16/2.
Dave

Thanks for the info and for the tips!
I am reading through all the old posts here to get caught up.
I really appreciate the knowledge and the helpfulness of the CP community - it is the reason that I am looking for a Com-Pac.

Citroen/Dave

In addition to my earlier comments: 

The 16 likes to sail at about 10 degrees. The stub keel begins to loose its bite heeled further: no need for more sail area.  I have been amazed at the steep heel angle of other keel boats I have sailed near. I have two lines of reef points on the main and one high line on the jib to make a storm jib if it get windy. In addition, for light air I have a probable-150% lapper. If you match sail choices with the wind: the combination that approaches hull speed is all you need. . .  The CP16 is a comfortable day boat with a big cockpit for its length.

Nights on board a CP16 are a small challenge: I like sleeping on a cockpit platform covered with square life-cushions fillers, with the quarter berth mattresses on the benches, under a boom tent, or not. My platform is three squares of plywood (otherwise stored under a quarter berth) suspended on two wood strips along and just under the cockpit bench tops. This makes a level double berth.  A quick change moves cabin-stuff (in sealed plastic bins) to the foot well and us into the cabin if rain threatens.  I can still power to reset a dragging anchor of to find a pier if the weather gets worse.

Spring time dreaming,
Dave
'87 ComPac 16/2  "Keep 'er Wet" renamed "Slow Dancing"

Floyd

Quote from: Citroen/Dave on February 22, 2014, 05:33:44 PM
In addition to my earlier comments: 

The 16 likes to sail at about 10 degrees. The stub keel begins to loose its bite heeled further: no need for more sail area.  I have been amazed at the steep heel angle of other keel boats I have sailed near. I have two lines of reef points on the main and one high line on the jib to make a storm jib if it get windy. In addition, for light air I have a probable-150% lapper. If you match sail choices with the wind: the combination that approaches hull speed is all you need. . .  The CP16 is a comfortable day boat with a big cockpit for its length.

Nights on board a CP16 are a small challenge: I like sleeping on a cockpit platform covered with square life-cushions fillers, with the quarter berth mattresses on the benches, under a boom tent, or not. My platform is three squares of plywood (otherwise stored under a quarter berth) suspended on two wood strips along and just under the cockpit bench tops. This makes a level double berth.  A quick change moves cabin-stuff (in sealed plastic bins) to the foot well and us into the cabin if rain threatens.  I can still power to reset a dragging anchor of to find a pier if the weather gets worse.

Spring time dreaming,
Dave

Thanks for the info!
I would really like to see a few pictures of your cockpit platform.

Salty19

A lot of people bolt in long strips of teak (say 1"D X 1" W)  just below the cockpit sitting level, inside the footwell.
Then place a series of small boards across the span of the footwell.  The depth of these boards should be equal to the spacing between wood strips and cockpit seating level.

This makes a nice flat area to put a a super comfy air and easy to store mattress.  And those strips work with cockpit tables if so wanted. You could put some notches in them for table placement in advance so the don't slide around.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Floyd

Quote from: Salty19 on February 22, 2014, 09:35:06 PM
A lot of people bolt in long strips of teak (say 1"D X 1" W)  just below the cockpit sitting level, inside the footwell.
Then place a series of small boards across the span of the footwell.  The depth of these boards should be equal to the spacing between wood strips and cockpit seating level.

This makes a nice flat area to put a a super comfy air and easy to store mattress.  And those strips work with cockpit tables if so wanted. You could put some notches in them for table placement in advance so the don't slide around.

Excellent !

Thanks for the info and for the pics of pea green boat !

Floyd in Tampa Bay
:)