a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trailering your outboard

Started by atrometer, January 01, 2014, 12:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

Does that make Allen's Eclipse a Catboat?  ::)
Bob23

brackish

There was an old thread that talked about serious cracks in the transom in the area of the motor mount, and how to reinforce the area.  Because of that and because the motor mount manufacturer specifically states that the motor should be removed for trailering, I do that on my 23 and lay it on the trailer spare tire in the bed of my pickup, with the motor safety cable locked to the truck.  However, I had been using a 104 lb. motor.  Keep in mind that these new four strokes are much heavier in every HP range than the old two strokes. 

My new motor is 59 lbs.   I still intend to take it off, in fact one of the many reasons for replacing the heavy motor was to make it easier to remove and remount. 

The OP is talking about 25 lbs.  Think I would be OK with leaving it mounted with some strapping that would limit both vertical bounce and lateral swing and would insure the mount itself did not see any dynamic moment forces that could damage it or be transferred to the transom.  OTOH, 25 lbs. means no strain to get it off and back on if there is a decent place to carry it in the tow vehicle.  A search would reveal pics of some stands built onto the front of trailers that are used to carry the motor.  I think Mike Greene did that on one of his previously owned boats.

As expected opinions and experience vary on this subject.

Eagleye

Quote from: Bob23 on January 02, 2014, 03:35:06 AM
Does that make Allen's Eclipse a Catboat?  ::)
Bob23

The cats name is Danforth and if he gives me any grief we just hook him up to some rode.   ;)    Hmmm.... I'm not sure of the correct size and length of the chain?

-Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

Bob23

Looks like an 8 or 10 pound Danforth. You may not need any chain for that little guy...just a flea collar!
Sorry for thread drift...my mind wanders whither it will. If it were me, regardless of engine weight, I'd remove it. It's not just the dead weight but the bouncing motion as the trailer hits bumps. But, as shown above, leaving a light motor on seems to work just fine.
I don't know the weight of my Nissan 8 hp 2 stroke...gonna guess about 50-60 lbs. It goes on the mount right before the boat is launched.
Bob23

Restharrow

I've travelled with the 6HP outboard on the mount for short distances, i.e. less than 30 miles.  And each time I've taken a line to the stern rail to take the stress off the engine mount.

FOR LONGER TRIPS - I made a bracket - horizontal on the trailer under the bow area and travel with the outboard clamped with the motor clamps and lashed to this bracket and covered.  It's a REALLY simple bracket.  2x8 laid flat and u-bolted to the trailer.  On the 2x8 is a 6-8" 2x8 angled vertically.  This is where I attach the motor clamps.  The motor travels on it's side (correct side up so carb doesn't flood).  Never had any problems travelling 250+ miles to Maine and back.

Steve
CP23 movin' to CP25!!!!
CP 25
Lake Champlain, Vt. and coast of Maine
FaceBook RestHarrow Farm and Boatworks

Saluki86

Since I store my motor separately from my boat, I always haul the motor in the bed of my tow vehicle.  I just make it part of my setup routine.

MKBLK

Atrometer,

I put my MinnKota on the CP16 in the Spring and take it off in November. I do secure it with a bicycle cable to help prevent theft and, heaven forbid, having it fall off! You shouldn't have any problem with the Honda. But, definitely secure it to the boat or somebody else (like me  ;)) might enjoy the benefits of such a fine machine.

Eagleye,

Madame Z looks great, even on the hard!

Marty K.
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch