a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Horizon or Sun cat ?

Started by captmac, October 06, 2013, 11:02:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rahn

I agree that the Suncat would be a good choice for what the original poster wants to do. The Horizon Cat would also be a good choice. My point is that I don't think there is a significant difference in towing/rigging/launching a Suncat and Horizon Cat. Both are great trailer sailors and a decision between the two should be based on different criteria than just towing/launching/rigging (assuming the tow vehicle can handle the extra weight of the Horizon Cat).

Craig

Having also owned both, I would agree with Rahn. Where the boat will be used is a factor as well. The added weight of the HC does make a difference in chop and heavier wave action.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

capt_nemo

"...should be based on different criteria..." right! How about COST, which I emphasized considering it to be a MAJOR consideration.

Unless the $11,500 difference in Base Price NEW [no options, no trailer (another $1,800 difference)] is NOT a MAJOR consideration.

capt_nemo

reedtg3

Interesting responses.  I would like to have Charlie and Isy weigh in on this topic.  Do they monitor the traffic on this frequency?
Tom, CP 17 Sc 377, Cattail

captmac

Well we are going sailing on Bill Shamblin's Horizon cat (THANKS BILL) on Saturday which he keeps in a covered slip so I will get to raise the mast myself to see how the system works and we have never sailed on a cat boat rig before, can't wait!
So far the closest Sun cat to look at is in Atlanta, so that may be our next trip.
Thanks for all the responses, this is a great group here, and to answer one of the questions, I have a full size truck so the tow vehicle does not matter.

Jay

Ziggy

That's great. Please let us know your thoughts. I am also in Western NC and a Horizon Cat is on my shortlist.

Subsailor637

I seem to detect a pattern here.  Several owners of Horizon Cats where previous owners of Sun Cats but I don't detect owners of Horizon Cats moving down to a Sun Cat.  This is my first season with my Horizon Cat and I'm glad I made this choice.  Had looked at both models for several years at boat shows, climbing aboard each lane and with the admiral.  The extra space that we felt was there on the hard has really translated well on the water.  I have spent most of this summer sailing on the Illinois River which shallows up fast when you are out of the main channel and yes, a foot less depth at times would come in handy.  But at other times when speed boats are passing close or the wind has set a heavy chop I'm thankful for the extra freeboard.  I've owned a Catalina 30 and a 34 tall rig and for overall use the larger boat was better.  You can find a few used HC's out there that are well maintained and at reasonable prices.  Also, the economy isn't that great so you could probably still strike a good deal directly with Hutchins or one of their dealers on a new build.  I bought mine new at the Chicago Strictly Sail show this past winter.  It was new but "spec built" so I could only add/change a few things but it was pretty loaded and had diesel option I wanted.  Got a great price, Hutchins sold a boat and everyone was happy!
2013 ComPac Horizon Cat DOLPHIN
Punta Gorda FL

captmac

Update,  well after looking at the SC and the HC we are leaning towards the SC for the following reasons, the main reason is that my wife is a little claustrophobic (which was the main reason for looking at the bigger HC) and does not like putting her legs down under the berth of the HC and the cabin is divided into smaller sections where the SC is all open making her feel less confined, the SC will fit in our garage, easier to launch in shallow ramps, less cost, easier to handle main sail, and we can tow it with the car and not use the big truck.
Thanks for all the input, now the search begins!

capt_nemo

Captmac,

You made a good decision, for all the right reasons.

Welcome, in advance, to the Sun Cat Family!

Good luck in your search.

capt_nemo
Sun Cat "Frisky"