a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Where are your bow chocks?

Started by marc, September 22, 2012, 08:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc

I know what a thimble is and have spliced them into a line.
But why not just loop 2 eyes together? The eye of the leader line looped through the eye of the mooring line. Would look like this:

MacGyver

AH-HA!
Excellent work, I forgot about that knot.
I would think that would do just fine as there wont be any loosening and tightening causing much chafe.

For some reason in my head I only had Bolen Knots, But this would be excellent.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Dick

Can someone tell me where I can get that neat little bracket that chinches down the anchor stem (see Skip's photos)? Gerry at Hutchens said they do stock that item.

dbinvermont

I used to have a Hunter 23 that I moored, it didn't have any bow chocks, either.
I made up a mooring pendant that attached to the bow eye, and was the length of the boat.
Hooking and unhooking meant bringing the stern up alongside the mooring ball, I would then just reach over and grab the snap shackle.
It was actually much easier than boats I have owned with bow chocks, you don't have to go forward!
When you unhook, you just flip the pendant over the life line, and it lays on the gunwale, down the length of the boat.
-Dave
Dave
dbinvermont
1983 Compact 19

marc

Quote from: dbinvermont on May 10, 2013, 06:24:59 AM
I used to have a Hunter 23 that I moored, it didn't have any bow chocks, either.
I made up a mooring pendant that attached to the bow eye, and was the length of the boat.
Hooking and unhooking meant bringing the stern up alongside the mooring ball, I would then just reach over and grab the snap shackle.
It was actually much easier than boats I have owned with bow chocks, you don't have to go forward!
When you unhook, you just flip the pendant over the life line, and it lays on the gunwale, down the length of the boat.
-Dave

I thought about this too but I'm in a crowded mooring field and want to avoid any possibility of bumping another boat.