Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Eclipse #17

Started by beradthefish, August 11, 2012, 09:17:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Basore

Bredthefish,

I will sketch something up and send it to you via email, I think I can do that through your contact info on this site. if that doesn't work please feel free to contact me using my email gpb91384@hotmail.com and I will send the sketch to you.

I will have to look at my boat just to make sure I have everything right in my head before I sketch it out for you, its raining here for the next couple of days so you will have to wait for it but I will send it to you asap.

Also, I will take a few pictures of my boat as it sits on the trailer ready for tow to show the rigging.

Allen,

thanks for confirming the depth gauge. I have been putting off installing mine, some times I think a fish finder would be better showing the contours of the bottom your sailing over rather than just numbers appearing on a screen. If you could see the bottom, you could turn away from a potential hazard or shallow waters.

Thanks guys for the info.

Glenn B.

beradthefish

Glen - I thank you for taking the time to do that, I was just staring at my sail yesterday and I can't exactly picture it.  I'll PM you my contact information.  By the way, can you give me a very general overview of the installation of the depth gauge?  Does it involve drilling a through-hull?

Glenn Basore

Breadthefish,

No through hole is needed, that's the beauty of this depth sounder. there may be others out there that do not need a trough hole as well, I just don't know.

I was thinking of making an instrument cluster board to mount my depth finder gauge and anything else later on. One of the ideas was to make a pivot arm attached inside the cabin that would simply swing out into the companion way so I could see it (I saw this on a post some where on this site).

The other idea is to make a companion way slat (matching the current lower companion way slat) which would drop in place containing the instruments. this too was shown some where on this site. I think I would use some type of quick release wire connectors so this bottom slat could be stored separately with out all the wires. I would use teak I think.

Also, the lower slat would be smaller in size, may be half the size of the companion way lower slat now so you don't have to step over it so much.

I like both ideas, just never got around to doing anything.

I was pleased to read the person who had this unit said it was pretty accurate and since I have it I should probably use it. I can always add a fish finder that would show the bottom latter.

A wind indicator would be nice too! not sure how to get from the top of the mast to this board by going past the pivot point on the mast?

Still raining here but next week indicates temperatures in the high 70's and possibly low 80's (sorry guys) and I will pull the cover off my boat to take the pictures of how I rig to tow.

Glenn B.

beradthefish

Glenn - Have you considered mounting it on one of the access ports above the lazarettes?  I guess the only drawback would be having to turn around to see it while sitting on the same side.  Just an idea.  So where do you put the actual transducer?

Today was the perfect day for sailing, but life happens and I couldn't go.  That's how it's been lately!

Glenn Basore

My understand is, the transducer is fitted in the "V" berth area just forwad of the keel. this would allow the best viewing for the sounding without any obstrutions from the boat.

I think I read some place this is where Gerry H. suggested it be mounted.

The application of mounting the transducer seems pretty simple and straight forward but you must do a proper job of mounting it so you have no air bubbles under neath it or in the glue your using which would give bad readings, it must be level too.

I think you could probably find a link on this unit and how to install it some place.

Glenn B.

beradthefish

Photographs removed.

beradthefish

It's been a couple of months, I'm posting to say that Eclipse #17 is for sale.  I have recently had a 'career development' (a positive one), however, my sailing opportunities are unfortunately going to be even more scarce than they are now.  This thread is a pretty good history of the boat, but I'll put a writeup in the classifieds as well as Craigslist.  I appreciate everyone's information and help, it was people on this forum that pointed me in the right direction to find #17 and it was people here that helped me fine tune it.  It remains a great experience!

Thank you!

Brad

Eagleye

Brad,
Hey...we're really sorry to see you go.  It was fun getting some more activity in the Eclipse section of the forum.  Thanks for all your input.  I wish you the best in your future journeys and maybe there will be a place for sailing again.

Fair winds...
Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

beradthefish

Quote from: Eagleye on February 09, 2013, 12:58:44 PM
Brad,
Hey...we're really sorry to see you go.  It was fun getting some more activity in the Eclipse section of the forum.  Thanks for all your input.  I wish you the best in your future journeys and maybe there will be a place for sailing again.

Fair winds...
Allen

Thanks Allen, there will definitely be a place for sailing in the long term!

beradthefish

By the way, if anyone has any recommended websites for listing my boat other than here or Craigslist, I'd appreciate your suggestions.

Ivo

Brad,

sailingtexas.com is a nice site to list your Eclipse.  (not just for boats in Texas)

Good luck with the sale... and the "career development".

Ivo