Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Furling Genoa Size

Started by cycle, October 17, 2011, 12:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cycle

@brack

Thats good information.  I'm planning to singlehand some next year and that's definitely one of the reasons for the roller.  As I read your whisker pole comment I thought, 'What the hell is a whisker pole?' 

I used to have this idea that I was going to learn all there was to know prior to my first launch.  Confronted with the quantity of information to learn and my capacity for retaining it, a new plan was formed.  Focus on basics / safety and learn the rest as I went along. 

So... Google produced some nice 'whisker pole' video's.  Now that I know what it is, I like it!  Thanks.

If all goes well this weekend, the mast goes back up, I measure everything carefully and order the 135% and furler next week.

Jon

1987 CP19
Portland, ME

jthatcher

hey john - if you waited for your first launch till you knew everything, you would never get that boat in the water  :)    what i learned, this my first season as a sailboat owner, is that there is a whole lot to learn!  but, just having some basics down is enough to have a good time on good days..    best of luck with the order for the new sail.   i am leaning towards a 135 as well.  I have to get down to the boat to take the old one off and get the boat buttoned up for the season.  there is just so much to do in october!   jt

Salty19

Cycle, here's a pic of the whisker pole on our CP19. Held up with a shaefer spinnaker ring on a 1" track up the mast. Also a decent shot of the boom vang.

I didn't use one until this year..won't do without it now for long downwind runs.

And another one...the pole is not aligned correctly in this pic, should be horizontal.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

rdcvsmith

Hey salty,

Do you have any more pics closer up of your whisker pole regarding the mast / tract area, set up, etc.

Looks like you just have the simpler "spike" end type of whisker pole to go through the genny. (?)

Is that a 6' - 12' adjustable pole?

I like sailing wing &wing, thinking about adding a WP  for the Coconut T. for next season, it doesn't seem like a big money layout for the benefits received (?)

Is a whisker pole something that can be done while SINGLE hand sailing?

Thanks
Ray

skip1930

That's a colorful 'bumper-shoot' for shade.
How and where does one stow the pole?

skip.

Salty19

Sorry, Ray I don't have pics from the front.

It's just a 5' track screwed into the front of the mast with a spinnaker ring car.  Nothing special (go to Defender.com and search on these). The pole is the small extendable fore spar whisker pole.  

Wanted the track as I use different headsails. A fixed ring will surely be "off" for one of the other. Then again maybe not??

I store the pole in the cockpit footwell, but they do sell small spar clips for attaching the mast too.  That way it's right there to deploy.  It fits in the footwell perfectly, runs under the fuel locker.

Doable single handed with any form of tiller control. I marked the pole for both jib and genoa so no guessing at length..insert pole end into tack , extend to mark and drop into the ring (the ring end auto-opens when pressure is applied).
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603