a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Table for a 23?

Started by brackish, October 31, 2009, 09:29:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

relamb

If you still want info on the table, I have both the original table for my 23/3 (which is in storage, because I find it too big) and a second plywood table which is about half as long, with two notches where it goes around the bulkhead, allowing it to extend shorter or longer into the cabin.  I can post pics if anyones interested.
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

brackish

Be great if you post a pic.  Building a table is one of my projected winter projects and I can use all the ideas out there.

Frank 2

brackish

Curtisv, browsing your 23 improvement site, noticed the table and, in particular, the table storage method.  I like that a lot.  My only concern is whether my Nicro solar vent would be too cut off for proper air flow.  In your estimation is there enough clearance between the table and cabin roof to provide the necessary supply air.

curtisv

Quote from: brackish on March 11, 2010, 08:34:38 AM
Curtisv, browsing your 23 improvement site, noticed the table and, in particular, the table storage method.  I like that a lot.  My only concern is whether my Nicro solar vent would be too cut off for proper air flow.  In your estimation is there enough clearance between the table and cabin roof to provide the necessary supply air.

Yes it would be cut off.  There is an air space of an inch or so between the table and headliner but it would reduce the airflow a lot.  My CP23 came with a plastic cowl vent that plugged in and seemed like it would fall out so I've always left the hole plugged.

I had some ideas for vent projects including a home made dorade (a good use for some teak) but never followed through on any of these ideas.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

brackish

Quote from: curtisv on March 11, 2010, 11:08:58 PM

Yes it would be cut off.  There is an air space of an inch or so between the table and headliner but it would reduce the airflow a lot.  My CP23 came with a plastic cowl vent that plugged in and seemed like it would fall out so I've always left the hole plugged.

I don't know it might work OK.  Supply area would be approximately 1"x 18" or 18 square inches.  More if there is any opening on the front side, I couldn't tell.  The path is altered but not treacherous.  That area is nearly twice the input area on the little fan and the CFM is got be be very low.  I may try it.  The fan is primarily for mildew control when the boat is closed up and not in use, and I could drop the table at those times.  Really innovative place to store the table, easily accessible but out of the way.

curtisv

Quote from: brackish on March 12, 2010, 09:50:19 AM
Quote from: curtisv on March 11, 2010, 11:08:58 PM

Yes it would be cut off.  There is an air space of an inch or so between the table and headliner but it would reduce the airflow a lot.  My CP23 came with a plastic cowl vent that plugged in and seemed like it would fall out so I've always left the hole plugged.

I don't know it might work OK.  Supply area would be approximately 1"x 18" or 18 square inches.  More if there is any opening on the front side, I couldn't tell.  The path is altered but not treacherous.  That area is nearly twice the input area on the little fan and the CFM is got be be very low.  I may try it.  The fan is primarily for mildew control when the boat is closed up and not in use, and I could drop the table at those times.  Really innovative place to store the table, easily accessible but out of the way.

The slot is 1 inch at its widest.  Maybe 1/4-1/2 inch at each side.  The liner is curved so it isn't 1x18.

Taking the table down and putting it on the v-berth cushion would certainly give you full air flow.  I was thinking more of keeping cool than mildew.

Mildew is less of a problem up north on the cold salt water with steady wind.  On land it is more of a problem.  Laid up I leave the boat covered and hatch boards out.  Keeping cool is also not so much of a problem on 60 degree water (cooler on the ocean).  Permanently blocking the small foredeck vent never bothered me.  I never liked the location of that vent and have considered glassing over the hole.

I tend to either put my CP in the water and sail a lot or don't put her in.  If you don't go on board at least every 2-3 days the cormorants will use your boat as a perch while drying their wings and they make a terrible mess.  A week off the boat can mean an hour or more of cleanup.  There are enough boats in the three small mooring fields in our corner of Pleasant Bay that the shags stick to the boats that are seldom occupied by humans.

One of my neighbors rows out now and then and just reads a book for a while and rows back.  He does this when he doesn't have time for a short sail and hasn't been out for a few days.  With the need to reassert teritorial claims to the local bird population, the boat gets openned and aired out a lot.  I usually take a short sail rather than read a book.  We also have wind almost all the time so there is some air circulation even with the boat closed.

The only place I've had mildew is some mildew dots on the teak and holly cabin sole.  Drying the sole before leaving the boat helps.  Applying lemon oil to the cabin sole a few times a season helps even more.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access