a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Table for a 23?

Started by brackish, October 31, 2009, 09:29:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brackish

My manual (23/IV) references a table, talks about it having dual usage as the cover for the nice (but very heavy) box that slides under the companionway.  For whatever reason, my 23 does not have a table, so, I'm going to make one.

Does anyone have a picture of the table in place, particularly of the attachment to the bulkheads that separates the two cabins?  Rough sketch in the manual shows that it has cutouts that slide down on each bulkhead and then some kind of stop to keep it in place.  Going to try to make a table that is light and might be able to be used both in the cabin and in the cockpit.  Groping for that design starting point.

Frank

nies

FRANK, NOT SURE WHAT  STYLE YOUR EXACTLY LOOKING FOR, BUT LIVING IN PONTOON BOAT COUNTRY I SEE ALL SHAPES AND STYLES OF TABLES. MAY WANT TO CHECK OUT BEFORE GOING TO A LOT OF WORK...........PHIL

Craig Weis

The 23 I looked at with a diesel engine in it before I bought my 19 had one table mounted above the starboard quarter birth on pull out rollers. It was suppose to be used for a navigation table.
Same setup on the otherside but had a cut out that a Tupperware tub was to drop down into for ??? dishes? I don't know.
Regardless I thought each pull out was a bad idea.  Just me.

I have friends with tables on that plug in kitchen box that sits just astern of the compression post on there 19's.
Since I have sawed my drop board in half I just use that to span the cockpit or lay on top of the bunk padding [I hesatated to call it a materess] for food and drink consumption.

Kind of messy on Gerry's boat.

But now you know why, and a three day voyage with gramps.

Here is the whole crew now. Gerry [Peanut Butter] and Grand Kids.
skip.

Bob23

Frank:
   My 1985 23/2 came with a table that sort of snapped in place at the bulkhead and had a support pole. It then protruded into the main cabin area. I never installed it...never liked it and never got around to construction a proper table.
   Instead, I found one of those cheap, wood fold-up tables about 14" x 24" and around 24" hihg when unfolded. Works great, considering that I usually sail alone. When I'm done, I fold it up and stash it aft, on a quarter berth cushion. Crude, yea, but it works.
   I removed my sink (never used it-too small) and mean to turn that into a table/nav station.
Bob23

kchunk

Frank, I'm going to have to echoe the opinions here. The table on my 23 is in my garage...used it once with the kids for lunch, then removed it and never put it back. Since then we've had the family (four of us) aboard for for a couple overnighters, one as long as 4 day 3 nights without the table. The table is a nice idea in theory, but it just doesn't work on small boats.

Now, if you insist on a table, let me know and I'll take a bunch of pics and dimensions of mine.

--Greg

newt

This thread is also asking a favorite question of mine- how do we maximize space on the CP-23? I will start a new thread and not hijack this one. (BTW- if you want my table, you can have it if I can find it. It went into my garage and has stayed there ever since.)

brackish

My last boat had a table that is typical of cruising boats, one that was permanently attached to the starboard cabin separation bulkhead that hinged down, then folded out with a folding leg that pinned to a socket in the sole.  When set up, it provided dining for four, two sitting on each settee with room for the trappings of a multi course dinner.  We used it on every overnight cruise and many day sails to anchorage.  The key is that it was easy to deploy and it had a permanent and unobtrusive storage place.  You could also use half of it for two and keep the companionway clear to get to the forward cabin or head.

Possibly the stock table for C23's doesn't have the ease of use and storage characteristics.  I would, however, like to come up with something that can provide dining for two and be just as easy to use.  I think your collective posts have convinced me that the stock table will not get me there.

Shawn

The table in my 23 is very out of the way when stored. It basically fits above the storage area under the companionway. Doesn't interfer with the big wood storage box over the bilge or my cooler that fits in front of that.

Shawn

kchunk

Speaking of storage box. That's another thing that had to come out of the boat. If you're going cruising for more than a day or so you'll need a decent cooler. I removed the box and put it in the garage (next to the table) and put a huge cooler in the  space under the companionway. The one I use is an Igloo Quick & Cool, 100qt, 5-day cooler. It fits, using most of the space and has one feature I was looking for, a small door on top of the cooler so I could slide out the cooler only part way and have access to the contents rather than having to slide the cooler out all of the way to open a large lid.

Another feature is a drain on the opposite side of the cooler as the little door. This allows me to conveniently drain excess melt off into the bilge, both lightening my load and giving the bilge a fresh rinse.

It works great and after 4 days in the Keys in July, I was still drinking cold(ish) beer! It gets a major recommendation from me!!

--Greg

Bob23

Greg:
   2 questions:
  Were you using cube or block ice and what kind of beer was it?
Bob23 the curious

kchunk

lol...the ice was cubed and the beer was Corona ( I know, I know. Corona is so cliche...but I like it).

HideAway

We sometimes spend a week cruising on HideAway.  Our table consists of a piece of 5/8 painted plywood with cleats attached to the bottom.   We seldom eat below but when we do we set the board under the cushions or if we are lazy just leave it on top.  The cleats keep the board in place.  We use the same table, if you can call it that, set just in front of the tiller.   This is handy on those long motor runs along the ICW because you can sit facing straight forward instead of twisting on the cockpit seats. The other advantage is that it keeps the sun off the additional gas tanks we need on longer cruises.    It stores under the cushions below.

We tried a large cooler - one not as nice as Greg's and found it cumbersome to wrestle it on board.  Now we pack  smaller coolers that hold the food for each day we are away.   Sounds like a big mess but since we converted the V berth to storage and a head with sink there is plenty of room for the coolers including the  two gallon towers of which we have two.   The main advantage is keeping the salon relatively free of obstructions and since the other coolers are not opened until use the ice lasts longer.  A big consideration here in FL.    M
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/

Craig Weis

Bob that be ahhhhh MGD beer over crushed ice.
skip.

brackish

Greg,

Nice cooler, I'm in the market for one.  Unfortunately, one of the "improvements" to the 23IV (Interior modifications that allow for easier installation of instruments, radios, and shore power) resulted in limited height in the area used for ice chest storage.  As I recall when I measured it I've got only 14.5".  I've looked at all the extended range coolers, even the expensive Engel's and Yeti's and can't find one larger than about 25-30 quart capacity that will fit.  If I take the box out, I can get two Yeti 25's in there.  Four hundred bucks, Yikes!  I can get one Coleman Extreme 36 in there maybe with a small soft cooler beside it.

At any rate, storage box needs to go, it is nicely made but heavy and awkward to get to.  Attic ornament.

Frank

nies

DAVID, LIVING 90 MILES NORTH OF CHIPPEWA FALLS,WISCONSIN THE HOME OF LEINENKUGELS BEER , VERY REASONABLE  PRICED FOR A RETIREE. DRINK LEINIES WHILE DREAMING OF MOOSE HEAD BEER. LIVING THIS FAR NORTH REQUIRES DRINKING BEER WITH UNUSUAL NAMES OR WITH ANIMAL NAMES, DRAW THE LINE ON SKUNK BEER.....PHIL